Clarity

• 1.  Summary task in Clarity Gantt not recording percentage complete

Posted Nov 15, 2017 10:53 PM
      |   view attached

Hi All, I am a bit stumped on this one, so reaching out to the community.

One of our projects has been quite diligent in detailing out their project schedule against their Clarity project tasks. They are following a simple structure in the WBS of three levels:

1 - Phasing

2 - Combination of High Level Deliverables and core Summary Tasks representing these

3 - Detailed tasks and milestones where % complete is recorded against each task

There are no resources assigned to any of the tasks (simple task scheduling), but the PM is diligently recording % complete against each activity. One of the summary tasks are level 2 is not rolling up the % complete from the level 3 tasks (see picture with highlighted orange).

I have tried to rebuild the summary task by outdenting and then indenting again. The percentage complete remained at zero. I tried creating another task and then inserting the lower tasks under that instead (effectively recreating a new summary task to get the result), and that new summary task still had a percentage complete of zero.

What other things should I be checking for, or is this buggy behaviour? 

I am not sure if this communities post is related to this.

https://communities.ca.com/thread/101085819 

• 2.  Re: Summary task in Clarity Gantt not recording percentage complete
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2017 02:39 AM

Hello,

I am unable to open your attached image, but still:

Which % Calculation Method are you using? Manual should behave as you describe:

Create Projects, Teams, and Tasks - CA PPM - 15.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

% Complete Calculation Method
    Specifies the method to calculate the % Complete value for the project and tasks.
    Values:

• Manual. Use this method to enter the % Complete for the project, summary, and detail tasks manually. Also, select this calculation method if you are using the product with Microsoft Project, or if you are using an external job to calculate % Complete. The % Complete field appears on the task properties page. When using the manual method, the status of a task does not change automatically. The task status changes only when you manually update the % Complete value or the status.
    • Duration. Use this method to track the % Complete based on the duration. The duration is a measure of the total span of active working time for a task: from the start date to the finish date of a task. The % Complete for summary tasks is automatically calculated based on the following formula:

Summary Task % Complete = Total Detail Task Duration Complete / Total Detail Task Duration
    • Effort. Use this method to calculate the % Complete for summary and detail tasks, automatically, based on the work units that are completed by resource assignments. If you assign a nonlabor resource to a task, the effort and actuals for that resource are ignored in the calculation. The calculations are based on the following formulas:

Summary Task % Complete = Sum of Detail Task resource assignment Actuals / Sum of Detail Task resource assignment Effort Detail Task % Complete = Sum of resource assignment Actuals / Sum of resource assignment Effort

Default: Manual

Note: Set the % Complete Calculation Method at the beginning of your project and do not change this value.

If you are using Duration and/or Effort, did you run the "Update % Complete" job?

• 3.  Re: Summary task in Clarity Gantt not recording percentage complete

Posted Nov 16, 2017 11:48 PM

Thanks Marc_Buigues and urmas. I had set off a couple of our Portfolio Managers to correct the % Complete Calculation Method to be changed to "Duration" and had assumed that this had been done for this Project by the Portfolio Manager who raised this - hence overlooking the setting. 

Updating this attribute selection solved the problem.

• 4.  Re: Summary task in Clarity Gantt not recording percentage complete

Posted Nov 16, 2017 04:15 AM

Here is the image

• 5.  Re: Summary task in Clarity Gantt not recording percentage complete

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2017 06:43 AM

Thanks @urmas.

As documented, in Manual, summary tasks (also) have to be updated manually. Other options such as Duration and Effort calculation methods should do this automatically, but that would apply to non-summary tasks, too.

• 6.  Re: Summary task in Clarity Gantt not recording percentage complete

Posted Nov 16, 2017 10:13 AM

The calculation method is a project level setting so it applies for all tasks the same.

If there  are no resources assigned to any of the tasks it cannot be effort, If you say Duration would apply to non summary tasks automatically and in this case it does not then it must be manual.

That suggests that the user just did not update that. Right? or are there other options?