Clarity

• 1.  Configure A Process - please help!

Posted Nov 16, 2017 05:56 AM

I would really appreciate it if somebody could explain to me how the configure process systems works in relation to the following:

For example we have a standard project process in place which works fine and picks up the standard project template as required.

I want to add an additional step into the process so I have copied the original standard project process and renamed it with v2 at the end. I have added the relevant step to the new version (v2) which is still in draft.

What I want to know is, because we have 100+ processes working on this standard project process, what is the best method of switching to the new process v2 without impacting the original project process?

I was under the impression all I had to do was set the original process to "on hold" and make the new process (v2) "active". This has just caused duplication of both processes on existing and new processes and now I am confused as to how I make this transition between the existing and the new process.  I have looked through the online documentation but it does not go into any detail about switching between processes.

Please help, thank you in advanced

• 2.  Re: Configure A Process - please help!
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 16, 2017 07:10 AM

Check this:

What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances? 

https://communities.ca.com/message/242001706-re-what-is-the-best-way-to-modify-a-process-with-initiated-instances 

NJ

• 3.  Re: Configure A Process - please help!

Posted Nov 16, 2017 07:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have read through the comments and from what I gather they are saying to wait for all the project instances to complete or delete all the project process instances. This is not going to be viable as we are constantly starting new projects so having to wait to close over 100+ would mean we cant then generate any new projects.

• 4.  Re: Configure A Process - please help!

Posted Nov 16, 2017 09:40 AM

Correct - so, you need to wait, is what I can gauge

NJ

• 5.  Re: Configure A Process - please help!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 17, 2017 11:22 AM

This has always been a restriction in PPM.

If I have to develop a large process I will always break it down into stages and create smaller processes for each stage. Then, as each small stage process finishes I get it to start the next stage as a subprocess.

In this way, if changes are required, you can minimise the number of projects affected.

I know this doesn't help your immediate problem but it's something to bear in mind for the future.

• 6.  Re: Configure A Process - please help!

Posted Nov 21, 2017 05:48 AM

Steve Thanks for the response, Yes this does help for future planning - Thanks!

It's frustrating because we have a live process I can't make any changes too.

• 7.  Re: Configure A Process - please help!

Posted Nov 21, 2017 03:26 PM

I like this approach as well.  I can't stand a process that does multiple things in one stage.  Too much can go wrong and hard to modify in a busy environment.