DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Secondary UMP installation

Posted Nov 20, 2017 09:48 AM

Hi ,

I am trying to install UMP . I have already installed my primary UMP on a windows machine and now i want to test secondary UMP on a linux machine. Now i have two issues:

1. I am using Windows authentication in MY-SQL . So i need to know how to configure that in my Linux server(used for secondary installation)

2. So basically i started without configuring step 1 and after doing multiple steps acc to the documentation but i am stuck on the point where i need to create a link to replace a folder named "Document_library" from primary UMP server(see the screenshot )

Now the problem is when i run the command  i get an error because in my linux server there is no directory named "data" in service directory. I am not able to figure out the issue behind non-existence of this directory.

Kindly Help

Thanx

Anmol

• 2.  Re: Secondary UMP installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2017 09:54 AM

So we require that the Primary and ump machines be the same OS type and version this would go for secondary UMP as well.

Also when using windows auth to connect to the database we require a windows box so that the service for the robot can set the windows security context user.

Please setup a windows box to match your primary and ump to move forward with mutiple UMP installation.

• 3.  Re: Secondary UMP installation

Posted Nov 20, 2017 10:05 AM

Hi,

The command you need to type to have that shared library in place is creating a symbolic link on the linux machine to point at the primary UMP. So the fact that you don't have a "data" directory in your linux machine is pretty normal (if I get things correctly, you have you Primary UMP on Windows and secondary one on Linux). You should have one on the primary though. Then, the directory should be shared, and you should be able to access to that directory from Linux which probably requires you to have a proper Samba configuration set up...

It's not recommended to have both flavors (mainly for exploitation and maintainability purposes) in the same loadbalancing "cluster" but I think that should work.

Best regards,

Christophe

• 4.  Re: Secondary UMP installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2017 10:21 AM

Also, you don't always need to share that data folder unless you are sharing dashboard designer pictures or you can manually  keep them in sync.

There is some sharing of alarm data so one might be a little behind the other one but it will still function on its own.

The reason why I say this is that your linux second UMP might be a backup ump.

Cheers

Rowan

• 5.  Re: Secondary UMP installation

Posted Nov 20, 2017 10:50 AM

Hey ,

So can i skip this step ? is that what you are saying ?

Because apart from this step there is not much left to do and my sec UMP is still not running !

thnx

• 6.  Re: Secondary UMP installation

Posted Nov 20, 2017 11:06 AM

Yes, you can definitely skip it. As RowanCollis mentioned it is not a mandatory one. I confirm we have multiple UMPs running at customer without that shared library set up.

If your UMP is not running, that's for another reason. Do you have anything special in the logs?

• 7.  Re: Secondary UMP installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2017 08:02 PM

Index cache for liferay User account (UIM account contact) is stored in DATA folder.

So if you do not share DATA folder, then you are unable to sync User account data. (For example, new user)