Clarity

• 1.  Department Lookup for Projects, Resources and Financial Plans Post-Upgrade

Posted Nov 20, 2017 01:51 PM

We have recently upgraded from PPM 14.3 to 15.3, and have only just begun to get reports that my users are unable to alter the (Financial) Department for their Projects, set the Department for their Resources, and set the Department for Financial Plans for records that they are entering Manually (when the Department is listed as one of the Grouping Attributes).

I am (reasonably) certain that the Access Groups assigned to my users weren't altered over the course of the upgrade. As well, I didn't pick up mention in the 15.3 release documents citing a need to update Groups.

I have determined that adding the Global permission "Department - View - All" to all data entry user Groups resolves the issue, but this also adds the menu 'Home -> Organization -> Departments' to users' access.

Has anyone also encountered this problem?

Is there anyone with potentially a better solution to this issue?

The additional menu doesn't represent a problem, since it is view-only, but it would be nice to not have to explain several hundred times that the appearance of the new menu item is not a cause for alarm.

• 2.  Re: Department Lookup for Projects, Resources and Financial Plans Post-Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2017 12:17 AM

Hi Will_Lloyd,

"Department - View - All" Global right is including "Department - Navigate" right.

So, user who is granted "Department - View - All" right can access 'Home -> Organization -> Departments'.

If you don't grant "Department - Navigate", you can grant "Department - View" Instance right.

"Department - View" Instance right is not including "Department - Navigate" right.

When you define new Department, you need to grant "Department - View" Instance right of new Department every time. 

Thank you.

• 3.  Re: Department Lookup for Projects, Resources and Financial Plans Post-Upgrade

Posted Nov 21, 2017 05:28 PM

Thanks for the tip Shoichi.

Would you happen to have a reference to a document in the DocOps repository?

I located the file https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm-saas/15-3/en/administration/configure-authentication-and-security/configure-an-organizational-breakdown-structure-obs#ConfigureanOrganizationalBreakdownStructure(OBS)-AssociateObjectswiththeOBS but I'm not completely confident this is the correct reference.

Are you saying that after adding a new Department (Home -> Organization -> Departments), I need to go through Administration -> Organization and Access -> OBS, open the Department properties, then view each Unit's properties?

Under the 'Access Rights for Unit/Instance'...

I would then add 'Department - View' to the Department...

then set the view Rights for the Department to potentially be the top-level Parent Department?

I have experimented with this a little and still testing, but this process seems to not have been fully have not shown this to be successful in the Department Lookup in the Cost Plan Details.

I am wonder if I have the procedure correct, of if in fact I should be doing something else.

Suggestions are welcome.

• 4.  Re: Department Lookup for Projects, Resources and Financial Plans Post-Upgrade
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2017 04:03 AM

Hi,

It is so complicated operation.

I attach screen shoot to share my operation with you. I hope it is helpful for you.

I created the following Department.    Home->Organization->Departments.

There are 3 Departments, "Development", "Finance", "Sales".

I granted "Department - View" Instance right to "Minoru Hironaka" resource.

I add "Finance" and "Sales" instances to ""Department - View" Instance right. I don't add "Development" instance.

Create Cost Plan.

Login PPM with above account "Minoru Hironaka" and create Cost Plan.

Try to create Cost Plan Detail.

Available Department are "Finance" and "Sales" only. "Development" is not displayed.

If I add "Development"  instances to "Department - View" Instance right of "Minoru Hironaka" resource.

All 3 Departments (including Development) will be displayed in Select Department dialog.

Regards,

Shoichi.

• 5.  Re: Department Lookup for Projects, Resources and Financial Plans Post-Upgrade

Posted Nov 22, 2017 03:15 PM

Wow, thank you so much for the thorough example. I will step through this procedure in my environment to make sure I have things correted.

Thank you,

Will

• 6.  Re: Department Lookup for Projects, Resources and Financial Plans Post-Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2017 03:55 AM

Hi Will,

You may create Group and grant  "Department - View" Instance right.

I think it is easier than my previous example if you grant "Department - View" Instance right to a lot of resources.

All resources who are added in such Group will have "Department - View" Instance right.

If you add  "Finance" and "Sales" instances to ""Department - View" Instance right of Group, all resource of Group will be able to use "Finance" and "Sales" instances only.

If this reply has correctly answered your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button so others can benefit from this information.

Regards,

Shoichi