Legacy UserNov 28, 2017 01:04 PM

• 1.  Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 23, 2017 11:19 AM

What is the recommended sequence to restart the CA Clarity services:

-Admin server

-Beacon server

-BG server

-App server

We noticed that some processes are getting hanged up and a restart of the services is fixing the problem. what is the order that we should restart the services?

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2017 11:28 AM

Restarting the services masks the problem and doesn't provide any root cause. if your process are hanging see if you have huge number of instances which are not deleted and if you are doing excessive logging then your BPM_ERRORS tables would be flooded and cleaning process instances cleans the record in BPM_ERRORS and few other BPM* tables too.

Also please let us know what version of PPM you are in? Also look at if you have adequate JVM allocation an you can refer to our documentation where we have given white papers https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-3/en/reference/oracle-and-ms-sql-database-performance-whitepapers/ 

If you still face issue please raise a support case and we will work with you and get it resolved.

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 3.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 23, 2017 11:30 AM

thanks suman,

We are on 14.3 (windows platform)

• 4.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2017 11:36 AM

Could you check the things I asked for the process and that should help. let us know how it goes post clean up.

Also if you describe how many app and bg you have along with sizing configuration 

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 5.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 23, 2017 02:47 PM

While cleaning up the initiated processes ( i had over 200 pages) I lost my delete button. It's not at the end of the pages anymore. It was there and now it's not. Where can you control this action button? 

• 6.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2017 12:44 AM

You dont need to delete manually, you can run Delete Process Instance Job and it will delete for you.

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 7.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 24, 2017 03:16 PM

What might be the reason for the button disappearing and how would you get it back?

• 8.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 25, 2017 12:03 PM

Thats a strange behavior, would love to see if screenshot/logs to understand the error further 

• 9.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 28, 2017 12:51 PM

sorry that was a screen resolution issue. hiding these msg at the bottom. Deleting initiated instances of the processes is not an issue. 

• 10.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 26, 2017 12:08 PM

Hi Georges. 

Do you do any scripted restarts on a cadence today? As an On-Premise Windows infrastructure admin, I can sing the praises of scheduled tasks. There's just too much going on in your infrastructure that you will never know about and will never be in any vendor's test infrastructure & documentation, nor may ever be resolved by a support case.

I do a weekly scheduled restart of all services on all servers (service stop all, service start all), and run a service start all every 5 minutes. I implemented this over 6 years ago and this makes all kinds of these kinds of weirdnesses just go away. I highly recommend it.

By all means open a support ticket and see if CA can ID something amiss with your configuration - but if not, take action to set yourself up for success in your organization's infrastructure, which is outside of CA's ability to influence.

• 11.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 26, 2017 12:27 PM

FYI - Our organization does monthly server patching, where my servers may be restarted. Historically, this hasn't been an issue, but twice now in the last 4 months the app hasn't come back up properly. A simple app restart fixes this. Something has changed and its not my CA PPM instance. I will not open a CA Support ticket yet - it's my job to own it. I will start by scripting an app re-start an hour after their server patching window to see if this makes this gremlin go away. If not, then I may go down the support path.

• 12.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 28, 2017 12:53 PM

Thank you for your interactions. But no one has answered my original question yet. What is the recommended sequence for starting up the services?

• 13.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 28, 2017 12:57 PM

Unsure if there is one. We've been doing 'Stop All' 'Start All' for years now with no troubles.

• 14.  Re: Shutting down the services and restarting sequence

Posted Nov 28, 2017 01:04 PM

we are on windows platform.