Clarity

• 1.  Insert data from Excel to Clarity

Posted Nov 23, 2017 11:40 AM

Hi Guys, 

I recently created a new object in PPM linked to the investment master object. Which should be used to record data to generate reports, but it´s too much information that doing it manually can take too long. 

In  Clarity I can insert data in bulk? Please, If you know to doing, tell me how. 

• 2.  Re: Insert data from Excel to Clarity

Posted Nov 23, 2017 11:54 AM

I don't think that there is bulk or grid paste into custom object instances in the versions this far.

You could crate a process to insert/update the values with XOG.

The other option is to use (commercial) add on for that.

• 3.  Re: Insert data from Excel to Clarity

Posted Nov 23, 2017 12:05 PM

Yeah Excel VBA can call SOAP web-services (i.e. XOG), so you use VBA to construct the XML from the data in your XLS and bulk-load it into the application like that (all in an Excel macro).

Its a bit of a programming task to get it all to work, not something that a non-technical user could do.

• 4.  Re: Insert data from Excel to Clarity

Posted Nov 23, 2017 01:24 PM

Another option around Excel developer tab -- XML data maps  (great video from IT-ROI Solutions)..

How to use Microsoft Excel to Map Data Automatically into XOG files for CA PPM - YouTube 

You will need to enter at least two of your custom objects then XOG them out to get your XML file to use in the map.

V/r,

Gene

• 5.  Re: Insert data from Excel to Clarity

Posted Nov 24, 2017 03:57 AM

Yep agreed with this too - the compromise with that technique though is that you end up with a very "technical" view of the data in Excel ; so it all depends on whether this is meant to be a user-facing solution or a technical quick-fix I think.

(I guess you could always have a half-and-half ; take the user-facing view of data in Excel and construct the technical-view as per that technique ; that would work too.  )

• 6.  Re: Insert data from Excel to Clarity

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2017 01:04 PM

Hi,

You can write a gel script/Java code to read the excel file, place them in some data structure/custom table and using that data, you can create a SOAP XML which you can use it for xog.

Regards,

Sandeep