CA Service Management

• 1.  Is it safe to change the name of a Service Type?

Posted Nov 23, 2017 02:56 PM

Hi everyone,

In our daily administrative tasks, we often need to organize names of records, and because of this, sometimes it is necessary to change the names of some records, including more significant data and why not for better looking and sorting.

But some objects came with particular restrictions, and if there's a restriction, there should be a reason. For instance, I can't change the name (symbol) of Service Types, because this field is read-only in the form. Obviously, I can change this field in the form so it can be editable, or I can change the name via pdm_load or even directly in the MDB. However, I can't say if this will broke something in another place (Service Types contain Events and Macros), because this field is not read only for nothing...

So I would like to know: it is safe to change the name of a Service Type, without breaking anything else? I really wanted to rewrite our Service Type names, and the alternative would be recreating all Service Types and updating all records linked to them, and of course, this would be a very time-spending work.

Thanks in advance,

Diogo

• 2.  Re: Is it safe to change the name of a Service Type?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 27, 2017 02:47 PM

Hi Diogo,

Of course I would always recommend doing this in a test system to see the effects, however, I dont think it would cause much of an issue as they are referenced by ID and not by name, as are most items in SDM.  The only thing is that if YOU are referencing it in a report, data partition or other query based object where you are looking at it by name or partial name, then it may mess that up.

I would test it out first but if there are no issues, you should be OK.

Hope this helps,
    Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Is it safe to change the name of a Service Type?

Posted Dec 04, 2017 01:21 PM

Hi Jon,

Yes, I would imagine the impacts of this modification in a report or something, but I don't think this is motive enough to block changes in Service Type names. But, I don't think the names are used as ID for something, so probably there's another reason (maybe the name is used in attached events? I dunno).

Anyway, I'll do some test as you said, just to be safe.

Thanks,

Diogo