Clarity

• 1.  Where are Scope Changes Logged and Tracked

Posted Nov 24, 2017 09:49 AM

Being new to CA PPM, I'm continually learning.  How are scope changes logged and tracked in CA PPM?  I don't see an obvious location for these, but would think there is one?  

• 2.  Re: Where are Scope Changes Logged and Tracked

Posted Nov 24, 2017 03:32 PM

Please elaborate: Where do you have scope? Is that out of the box or custom?

• 3.  Re: Where are Scope Changes Logged and Tracked

Posted Nov 27, 2017 03:56 AM

Not very sure what exactly you are looking for, so sharing some information, in case those are among the things you are looking for: 

1. All about product is documented here: CA PPM - CA PPM - 15.3 - CA Technologies Documentation . You can change the version of the product based on your requirement and you can browse through the product documentation online. 

2. The enhancement requests raised by the users/customers of CA PPM are kept here: CA PPM - Ideas. These are known as Ideas and are initially reviewed by the product management and all the global users of PPM. Based on the impact, feasibility, votes and few other parameters they are implemented in the upcoming releases. You can participate and add points in the discussion as well.

3. Now, coming to defects or known issues. They are tracked internally and once you have an ID of the defect, you can get in touch with CA Support to get the latest update for the same. You might also find the same in one of our Knowledge Documents, if published already. Just need to google for it.

Hope I was able to help you.

Thanks,

Abhisek Dhar 

• 4.  Re: Where are Scope Changes Logged and Tracked

Posted Nov 27, 2017 02:05 PM

Could you please elaborate on "Scope" here? Do you mean documenting changes in Project Scope? If yes, have you explored the Change Request area in CA PPM? Here is some information available on creating Change Requests in CA PPM - Project Risks, Issues, Change Requests, and Action Items - CA PPM SaaS - 15.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps. If not, I will need more insights to be able to answer your question more effectively. 

Thanks,

Regards,

Debroop

• 5.  Re: Where are Scope Changes Logged and Tracked

Posted Nov 28, 2017 07:01 AM

Yes, my apologies.  Changes to the Project Scope. I'm assuming they are done through the change request function as you've listed above.  Thank you for your help.

Linda

• 6.  Re: Where are Scope Changes Logged and Tracked
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 28, 2017 07:00 PM

Hi GrantL01,

Out of the Box there is no explicit "Scope" object where this is defined. But you may want to explore how 'Requirements' and 'Release' function in the tool (should you be following this methodology).

There are some limits here though in that while you are able to define costs for requirements and then subsequently releases that are inclusive of the requirements, you can't build financial plans off the back of the numbers that you have assigned to the 'Releases' / 'Requirements'. This is the foundation for Product Based Planning methodologies such as PRINCE2. 

In addition, you can't associate OOTB any 'Change Requests', 'Risks', or 'Issues' to either 'Releases' or 'Requirements'.

For me this is a bit of a gap in Clarity PPM (there are not many), as it greatly impedes being able to support the management of scope and subsequently quality (based on the definition of quality as did I get what I asked for to the correct specification).

On a related note, 'Change Requests' in Clarity PPM are basically a form - that is it. It is fairly basic, which is reflective of the fact that there is no consistency either in the project management methodologies / frameworks or in practice in how CRs are managed (either from a process point of view or what data is required).

• 7.  Re: Where are Scope Changes Logged and Tracked

Posted Nov 29, 2017 06:36 AM

Thank you @Christopher Yardin, this helps a lot!