Test Data Manager

• 1.  Data Generation for volume testing

Posted Nov 28, 2017 06:50 AM

Hi Team,

I have couple of queries

1. How much volume of data CA data maker can generate?

2. Can you please provide me the steps to generate high volume of data for volume testing through data maker

3. Can CA data maker tool support RAW data type(database: Oracle)

• 2.  Re: Data Generation for volume testing
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 28, 2017 01:20 PM

For item 2 of your question:

If you do need a large quantity of TRANSACTIONAL data (ex: for a performance test), you can use Data Multiplier/Bulking:

Understand Data Multiplier and Data Bulking - CA Test Data Manager - 4.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

*** You would not use this method for reference tables, such as customer or products, though ***

• 3.  Re: Data Generation for volume testing

Posted Dec 01, 2017 03:21 AM

Thanks, we are going through data multiplier.

• 4.  Re: Data Generation for volume testing

Posted Nov 29, 2017 08:38 AM

For Data multiplier/Bulk copying, there is no limitation mentioned on docops.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-test-data-manager/4-3/en/provisioning-test-data/generate-synthetic-test-data/generate-synthetic-data-using-datamaker/publish-data-using-datamaker/understand-data-multiplier-and-data-bulking

So, if you have generated a million rows, you can double this number to 2 million, then to 4 million, and so forth. Therefore, by running the script 5 times (for example), you can create an extra 63 million rows. This method allows you to create data quickly as there is no external file activity to slow the creation.

Also, I have never seen RAW datatype in Oracle. I am not sure if it is supported. We can test this later this week to find out. 

kapad01

• 5.  Re: Data Generation for volume testing

Posted Dec 01, 2017 03:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, really the process is looking awesome, we will try it right away.