DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  How do I change Account name?

Posted Nov 27, 2017 04:28 PM

We require that UIM utilize the full legal name of the client that we offer our MSP services to because that name is forwarded into a third party CRM package for billing.

We are seeing a lot of client name changes for whatever reason and I need to catch up or my AR person is going to throttle me.

But it appears that once an Account is created there is no mechanism for change.

Unfortunately DOCOPS doesn't even provide is usual bare minimum  of help

Using Account Admin - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

"you can modify accounts" is apparently as far as it goes.

I don't want to create a new Account, I want to rename what I have.

Any ideas?

• 2.  Re: How do I change Account name?

Posted Nov 27, 2017 05:11 PM

Don't think there is a way you can modify the account name once its created 

• 3.  Re: How do I change Account name?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2017 05:23 AM

Hi Tim, as Phani suspects, when you create an account, by design, the name is a constant that is forced to stay unchanged and, for this reason, it greyes out in order to prevent conflicts with other accounts. The name of the account must be unique, in fact it is no possible to create a new account with an existing name (Create button is greyed out if so).

What options do yo have? Within what is supported and documented officially the only option you have is to create a new account and delete the old one. 

If this matter is heavily impacting your operations there is an option you want might want to test. I have tested this on a lab and, at a first look, it doesn't seem to have negative or any implication at all. However, please consider the following workaround is NOT supported and NOT recommended by CA. It is my personal suggestion and possible application is at your own risk.

The accounts are stored in the CM_ACCOUNT tables. Accounts correlate with the CM_CONTACT tables (where the Account/contacts are stored) by the account_id - and not the 'name' field. Although the 'name' field is locked by the portlet not to be updated after creation, seems to be a "static" information and it does not correlated with any other table directly. Updating the name manually in the database may not be an issue [not officially tested by CA - someone correct me if i'm wrong].

Considering this is NOT supported and at your own risk,  you may want to test it on a test environment with a test account and see how it goes - after ensuring you have a backup of your database. (I have tested it and I see no problems - for now )

This is the query I used to update the name of an account:

update cm_account set name = '<New_account_name>' where account_id = '<Account_id>'

• 4.  Re: How do I change Account name?

Posted Jan 15, 2018 06:57 PM

Hello,

Marco Ippati, have tou tested the impact on CABI, because UIM uses the Jasper rest API to create organizations and influencing on the database can create a new organization, and maybe delete the old one, in that case you migth lost the customozation on that org.

• 5.  Re: How do I change Account name?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2018 11:59 AM

Hi Renato, I have not tested what implication might have this manual work on CABI. 

If anyone decides to apply this change it would be highly recommended to test it in a test environment first