Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Custom List Query to compare user story and feature's release field value

• 1.  Custom List Query to compare user story and feature's release field value

Posted Nov 29, 2017 02:25 AM

I created a release filtered custom list and added more custom list apps to it for creating a data integrity dashboard. In one of the apps, I'm trying to do the following:

I need the list of user stories(in the filtered release) where the release field value is not matching the Feature's(linked to the user story) release field value. 

I wrote the following query, which is not working:

(Release.Name != PortfolioItem.Release.Name)

• 2.  Re: Custom List Query to compare user story and feature's release field value
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2017 11:21 AM

You cannot compare two fields using the query function.  I wrote a query that compares them using a set of nested conditions based on our naming convention.  Our releases are quarters, and we use the naming convention yyyyQn, for example 2017Q4.  My nested queries match first the year (I built it out for 2017 and 2018 so I won't have to update it anytime soon) and then the quarter like this:

(

((Feature.Release.Name contains "2017") AND (Release.Name contains "2017")) 

AND

((Feature.Release.Name contains "Q1") AND (Release.Name !contains "Q1")) 

etc...

)

It's laborious to build out, but it works reasonably well.  

• 3.  Re: Custom List Query to compare user story and feature's release field value

Posted Dec 04, 2017 04:16 AM

Thanks a lot Terry. It was really helpful.