Clarity

• 1.  Jaspersoft pixel perfect HTML rendering

Posted Dec 04, 2017 10:34 AM

In the HTML view of a Jaspersoft Studio Report I'm seeing small anomalies with the HTML rendering of reports as shown below. Borders appear bigger at some points, some cells loose their bottom border, there's a stray doohickey trailing off the top of the grid, ect.

These visual anomalies are not present when previewing in Jaspersoft Studio or exporting to PDF or PPT. Seems to simply be something with the HTML render. I observe that the CA Packaged reports are pretty tight. Pixel perfect between HTML, PDF, PPT, etc. I observe the OOTB CA reports make heavy use of frames. It's possible these frames act has helpers to keep things tight in the HTML view. I've add a couple frames to better 'box things in' but so far I'm not finding a silver bullet.

Does anyone know of or have any guidelines & tricks to help keep the HTML view of their Jaspersoft Studio reports pixel perfect? I'll go check in the Jaspersoft Forums next. It's not the end of the world, but I've come this far & would like to do the best I can.

• 2.  Re: Jaspersoft pixel perfect HTML rendering

Posted Dec 04, 2017 11:26 AM

Hello,

Not sure if this is the case but, alot of these pixel imperfections alot of times are related to the zoom you have applied. Does this happen when you change the zoom % on the preview?

Thank you.

• 3.  Re: Jaspersoft pixel perfect HTML rendering

Posted Dec 04, 2017 08:09 PM

I have had cases where the AdvanceReport preview window:

Doesn't show pie charts

Doesn't show all boarders of an attribute

Attribute doesn't wrap correctly

As you can't also print from the AdvanceReport preview window, I format for PDF output, where in my case, the above items show correctly.

In my case of the boarders not showing on some sections of the report, I attempted the zoom %, no differences.  Saved as PDF, boarders showed correctly.

CA PPM V15.3 re-introduces running JasperSoft in pre-v15 'Reports' facilities, which this then generates the JasperSoft report with output PDF/PPTX/XLSX - potentially in the future, 'Advance Reports' may restricted to 'administrators' and general users use the 'Reports'.

• 4.  Re: Jaspersoft pixel perfect HTML rendering
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 05, 2017 09:29 AM

Thanks Tiago, Roland.

I found mention over in the Jaspersoft Forums that Jaspersoft's HTML rendering supports a limited set of html tags and doesn't support layers or overlapping objects well, while the PDF rendering does - so this explains the difference.

As Roland mentions, with 15.3 I expect most of my users to interact with this in PDF/PPTX/XLSX so I'm not going to put too many more calories into this. Using the knowledge above & being mindful of overlapping items and understanding the 'build order' (top of tree down) I was able to clean this up a bit, but for now better is the enemy of good. If anyone finds a silver bullet please share, otherwise I have to move on.

Thanks all!