Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Regenerate API Key?

Posted Dec 04, 2017 10:23 AM

Hello,

Quick question... Is it possible to regenerate an API Key in cases where you want to update them?  I'd rather not rebuild the client in order to obtain a new key.  Just curious...

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 2.  Re: Regenerate API Key?

Posted Dec 04, 2017 10:39 AM

Hi Alejandro,

Yes, you can regenerate an API key again for the same client, but the key will be different key. So if you are using an old key for Application 1, it will need the new key at that point.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Abs

• 3.  Re: Regenerate API Key?

Posted Dec 06, 2017 04:31 PM

That is just what I am looking for... How might one do this?

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 4.  Re: Regenerate API Key?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 07, 2017 04:56 PM

Hi Alejandro,

Here is a little backup ground on API Keys, you may be aware of this:

All API Developer Portal applications are identified by their associated API Key, which is created, stored and maintained on the CA API Gateway. Hits against APIs are tracked by API Key, allowing the reporting capabilities of the API Portal to show which applications are using which APIs.

The API Key identifies the specific application (i.e., one API Key per app), and is associated with the developer's account. When an application calls an API, the API Key is looked up on the gateway, and the appropriate API and/or Account Plan limits are enforced to ensure quota/rate limits are adhered to.

The official answer is: We do not support changing the API keys, but the API secret can be regenerated by the system as needed. These are stored in the MySQL Database and make changes can cause other issues.

Unofficially, however, is that these are all stored in the database, so running some queries may be able to get you to update/change them.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Abs