Service Virtualization

• 1.  Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Posted Dec 07, 2017 04:18 PM

Hi,

My team and I have been learning and using CA DevTest.  It's a great tool, however we all have noticed that our PC Physical Memory Usage gets close to maxing out when we run the Workstation and Portal.  I've attempted to lower each of the .vmoptions files to max out at -Xmx128m and this only lowered the physical memory usage by about 160MB. 

Can you give me other options to help lower the physical memory usage when running the CA DevTest application?  Are there recommended settings for the .vmoptions files?  Using the default settings, we are having issues running any other applications with CA DevTest.  Our PC's tend to slow or other applications lock up.

Thanks for the help,

Marc Papon

• 2.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Posted Dec 07, 2017 05:41 PM

Hello Marc Papon,

Thank you so much for reaching out to our customer care community. At this time I am going to transfer your question to the DevTest Community team to assist answer your question.  

-Amy

• 3.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Posted Dec 07, 2017 06:51 PM

Thanks. 

Quick Update.  I was able to optimize the memory usage by about 1.1GB by setting all of the .vmoptions file memory settings to -Xmx512m and restarting the services.  128MB setting proved to be too low for my system. 

Still just checking with the community to see if there's anything else we can do to lower the physical memory usage. 

I'm currently on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GHz

8GB RAM

64-bit OS

Thanks for the help,

-Marc

• 4.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Posted Dec 14, 2017 06:16 AM

Xmx512m means is memory allocation is dynamic and  max allocation is 512.

It wont use all if it does not have to. 

Few things you can do to speed up local system if you are using it to run both workstation and server. 

1. I am hoping its not a permanent solution running devtest server on each machine. Move components to more prod like env. 

2. Dont run all services. You might broker or vse running on ur local.  If you are Not running any vs, stop vse. 

If you dont have any agents, stop broker. 

3. Keep Workstation ITR execution history to minimum. Keep clearing ITR executions to at least speed up workstation. 

• 5.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 08, 2017 08:01 AM

What is the current amount of available RAM on the device and how may of the DevTest components are you executing simultaneously? Forcing lower memory consumption using VMOPTIONS may cause other issues and eventually start throwing out of memory errors.

System requirements can be found here: System Requirements - DevTest Solutions - 10.1 - CA Technologies Documentation  

Minimum requirement highlights are:

DevTest Server (Registry, Portal, etc.)  - 2 GHz or faster, 8 cores minimum, 8 GB available

DevTest Workstation - 2 GHz or faster, 2 cores minimum, 4 GB available

VSE                          - 2 GHz or faster, two cores minimum, 2 GB available RAM for VSE, in addition to the RAM requirement for DevTest Workstation, DevTest Server, or Application Insight

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you might check out using the Community Edition which has a smaller memory footprint.

• 6.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Posted Dec 08, 2017 09:22 AM

If all the components are running on this single machine, only start the services for Enterprise Dashboard, Registry, Portal, VSE, and Workstation. If you are not running tests, then Broker, Enterprise Dashboard CIC, Coordinator and Simulator services do not have to be running. 

• 7.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2017 10:34 AM

I you are going to run all DevTest components on the same machine, I suggest you increase the RAM to a least 16 GB.

The 8 GB we recommend is the minimum.

• 8.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Posted Dec 14, 2017 09:20 AM

Our experience has been that the 8 GB will work ok if the user does not run any other applications.  This means that Outlook, Skype, Word, etc. must all be CLOSED.  The best option we found is to run these components on your Server: Enterprise Dashboard, Registry, Portal and VSE.  For the local user use: Workstation, Portal UI(http://yourserver:1507/devtest).  Change your local configuration file to point to your Server's Enterprise Dashboard.  -Good Luck

• 9.  Re: Physical Memory usage maxing out when running CA DevTest

Posted Dec 14, 2017 10:22 AM

Thanks all for the replies.  I'll up the RAM on my system and also take into account the services suggestions.

Take care,

Marc