Rally Software

• 1.  Feature breakdown table

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2017 02:05 PM

Is it possible to build a table of features targeted for a particular release that shows for each feature the number of stories and how many are in each state (new, defined, in progress, complete, accepted, released)?

• 2.  Re: Feature breakdown table

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2017 01:57 AM

Hi Eugene,

I'm not sure of anything that would break down the stories of the feature into a count based on the schedule state, but you can filter the Features by Release from the Portfolio Item page, or from the Custom List app.

Then you can add the Leaf Story Count field for a total of the leaf stories associated, and add the Accepted Leaf Story Count field to see the number of stories that have been moved to the Accepted state. Additionally, you add and click the Percent Done by Story Plan Estimate to get a count of the leaf stories, and the number of them that have been accepted. 

I hope that this helps!

• 3.  Re: Feature breakdown table

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2017 04:31 PM

Thank you, West!

But, I'm looking for a more granular picture than what you have outlined.

Imagine I have a Feature with 6 stories to implement.

If 3 stories are Accepted, then I am 50% done per what you described and which I already get from Agile Central.

But, for the 3 not done, let's say in one case all 3 are in the "New" state.

In another case, for the 3 not done, 2 are in the "In Progress" state and 1 is in the "Complete" state.

This gives me more detail and tells me that the 2nd scenario is closer to being done than the first.

Now, imagine this kind of table for 20 Features committed to a PI.

As an RTE, that's what I want/need... ;-)

Sincerely,

Gene

• 4.  Re: Feature breakdown table
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2017 07:32 AM

Gene, there's only one thing that I can think of that you can't do based on the previous reply, which is to summarize the count of stories in each state. My RTEs use the solution almost exactly as described above... I have a custom list set up on a Release-filtered page that shows features for the current team scope and release, and with my chosen columns including Schedule State displayed. Initially this gives the RTE and stakeholders the "macro" view of feature progress for the selected PI and they simply use the "expand all" carat to go to the detailed view of story progress. You're right that it doesn't summarize by schedule state but it gives a richer experience (just my opinion) because they can see things like blocked status and get more immediate detail with a single click and no context switching. 

Just my .02, hope that's helpful.

• 5.  Re: Feature breakdown table

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 20, 2017 02:08 PM

Eric,

Yes, I understand and do appreciate the richness of the experience as you describe it. But, my need is more for reporting up than for working with the teams on the train down. Sounds like CA Agile Central can't do this. I'll have to figure out how to submit the idea for consideration in the product backlog.

Sincerely,

Gene

• 6.  Re: Feature breakdown table

Posted Dec 20, 2017 02:18 PM

That makes sense Gene, and for what it's worth we fill that gap at my company by using Tableau reporting against a data source that we build through a nightly ETL process from Agile Central. Tableau does a great job with summary reporting like this and we have a part of our stakeholder community who get their information without ever logging in to Agile Central. 

If you decide to put something in Rally Ideas for this then please promote it here and I'd happily vote for it, makes sense to me. Thanks.