Test Data Manager

• 1.  Data Integrity While masking

Posted Dec 11, 2017 06:56 AM

Hi Team,

I have a requirement to mask DB tables across different schema. For example I have a schema1 with set of tables which were masked and I have to ensure that the tables in schema2 also to be masked with the same values. 

Can please suggest the steps to achive this.

For Better understanding

Here is my example:

schema1                                                                 Schema2

Customer details db table                                       Payment Details db table

Columns                                                                 Columns

FirstName                                                               FirstName

LastName                                                               LastName

Email                                                                      Email

So if i Mask the First name and Last name in Schema1 and i used the concat functin on Email column, so that i want to ensure the same values to be populated in schema2 as well.

Even within same schema also i have to solve this

Hope you understood the Problem

Thanks,

Satish.

• 2.  Re: Data Integrity While masking

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2017 12:08 PM

Satish,

You can use a hash function like HASHLOV to maintain consistency across schema. You can read more about the functions in below link.

Masking Functions and Parameters - CA Test Data Manager - 4.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Anil

• 3.  Re: Data Integrity While masking

Posted Dec 11, 2017 08:53 PM

Hi Anil,

Thanks for your reply, Yes HASHLOV has the mechanism that masks the value consistently but in my case there are other columns as well for example Email column i have used Concat function so that same value to be poplulated in other schema db table

As i have given the above example, the case is below

Schema1                                                                                                         Schema2

Customer Detail db table                                                                                  Consignee db table

Columns                                                                                                            Columns

FirstName  -- HASHLOV function                                                                     Email - this value should be same as 

LastName  - HASHLOV function                                                                      Schema1 Custome Detail db table.(Please 

Email  -- CONCAT(FirstName.LastName@gmail.com                                     Note in this table we don't have first name  

and last name columns, only email column 

where the value is expecting same as

schema1 db table)

Please let me know if my question confuses you.

Thanks

Satish

• 4.  Re: Data Integrity While masking
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 12, 2017 12:30 PM

Satish,

Since you don't have the the name fields in the second schema, you could setup a cross reference table to hold the list of email values on schema1 and you can use the same cross reference value for email in schema2 so that the values are retained. Please see below link for more details.

Fast Data Masker Best Practices - CA Test Data Manager - 4.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Anil

• 5.  Re: Data Integrity While masking

Posted Dec 13, 2017 05:19 AM

Hi Anil,

Thanks for your information, your inputs worked for me

Thanks a lot

Thanks,

Satish.