Service Virtualization

• 1.  Overwrite Scenario

Posted Dec 14, 2017 03:22 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to overwrite Test content response with Control content response if there is any difference in the element value in Graphical XML side by side Comparison.

For Example:

In the above response. If you see , MessageID and CreationTimestamp node are mismatched between Control and Test and so it is highlighted in blue color. Now I want to overwrite this MessageID and CreationTimestamp from test to content. So that there won't be any mismatch and my test will get passed. Is there any option to overwrite mismatched field in Devtest? I have "Overwrite expected Field" option in IBM RIT (Rational Integration Tester) tool. Now I'm exploring Devtest tool and want to make sure if any similar option is available in Devtest.

Please let me know if something is available. Thanks!!!

• 2.  Re: Overwrite Scenario
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2017 06:57 PM

Hi,

Since the IDs and timestamps are dynamic and random in nature, you need to ignore the comparison of the values for these specific elements. This can be done in Settings tab where you can specify elements to be ignored via Xpath expressions. This way the next time you run the regression test it will not fail due to difference in values between the test and the control.

• 3.  Re: Overwrite Scenario

Posted Dec 15, 2017 11:27 AM

Hi William,

Thanks for answering my question.
    I have used ignore node option to ignore few nodes. However for some of the element, I don't want to ignore instead I want to overwrite . So that my test and control will have same value for those element. Is there any option for that in DevTest?
    Actually my scenario is,  I will be having a configured response and I will compare this configured response with actual response. In the above image,  Left side is configured response and right side is actual response. During comparison of response, element mismatch will occur, then I will ignore few nodes and overwrite few nodes. I have been provided an option to ignore nodes but there is no option for overwrite. Please let me know how to overwrite the value using DevTest?

or is there any option to overwrite the entire test content with control content?

Thanks!!!

• 4.  Re: Overwrite Scenario

Posted Dec 20, 2017 03:17 AM

Hi,

Sorry but I don´t understand why you need to overwrite the response. If you want to validate that the response match the control in order to pass the Test, then, by ignoring the dinamic content (MessageID and Timestamp) that is not importat for that match, the Test will pass. Overwrite the content wont have any consecuence for future Test executions. In some way, overwrite the Test response to get a match and pass the Test is like fooling yourself.