DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

• 1.  CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Posted Dec 15, 2017 10:07 AM

Hello,

We just started using CA_APM_Standalone_Agents_10.2.0.27,  SiteMinder_SNMP and love it.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-2/en/extending/siteminder-snmp-collector

However, it only runs on demand.  There seems to be something missing, namely the registration as a windows service.

Most CA APM java uses Java Service Wrapper by Tanuki, but this installation for Introscope 10.2.0.27 doesn't have that.

Any suggestions?

We also have Webview (Introscope 10.3.0.19) running on the same box that does that ServiceWrapper64.

Would it be possible to use this to configure snmp-collector under 10.2.0.27 as a windows service?

• 2.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 15, 2017 12:49 PM

That version of EPAgent doesn't come with a wrapper. You can "borrow” the files from one of the other agents, like the webserver or MQ.

Versions after 10.5 will come with the wrapper.

• 3.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Posted Dec 15, 2017 04:21 PM

Thank you for the prompt reply.  We have 10.3 running on the same box for WebView.   I tried copying the files but they/it still seemed tied to WebView.   Is there any documentation on what to copy and how to configure the wrapper items?

• 4.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 15, 2017 04:37 PM

Grab the ‘jsw-3.23' folder from the CA APM for Web Servers agent or the MQ Agent, not the WebView.

• 5.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 15, 2017 04:50 PM

Sorry I have to correct myself. The 102 .EPA actually does comes with JSW.

• 6.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 15, 2017 05:08 PM

You can grab the files from the 10.3 EPA and copy them to your 10.2 agent. The files you want are in <epa>\bin and <epa>\lib and wrapper.jar; config file in <epa>\conf.

What issue are you having with setting the EPA to run the collector? Did you not run the 'install' command using epactrl.bat?

• 7.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Posted Dec 19, 2017 03:48 PM

We installed using installer.   After the install and config it functions like the documentation says. But only on demand and only tied to a command window. I do not see a file epactrl.bat anywhere in the install or installed files.

• 8.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2017 03:50 PM

Download the EPA package from the support site. The ZIP will have all of the files needed to install EPA as a Windows service.

• 9.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Posted Dec 19, 2017 03:53 PM

There is a EPACtrl bat file under D:\Program Files\CA APM\EPAgent10.3.0.15windows\epagent\bin\.  Can I use this to run D:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope10.2.0.27\SiteMinder_SNMP\StartAgent ? java -cp lib\EPAgent.jar;lib\SNMP4J.jar;lib\SNMPCollector.jar;lib\castor-1.0.4.jar;lib\commons-logging-1.1.1.jar com.wily.introscope.api.IntroscopeEPAgent

• 10.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2017 03:56 PM

if you run the BAT file, there should be an install option there also.

• 11.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Posted Dec 19, 2017 04:00 PM

so I ran this cmd

D:\Program Files\CA APM\EPAgent10.3.0.15windows\epagent\bin>EPACtrl.bat register
    wrapperm | CA APM EPAgent service installed.

I see the service in the windows service listing.

However, I don't see any data in APM from the snmp collector.

The only way I can get snmp collector data (SiteMinder) is by running the other, bat file, which seems tied to the older version,  D:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope10.2.0.27\SiteMinder_SNMP\StartAgent.bat

Is there a way to tie these together?

• 12.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2017 04:03 PM

sounds like you're missing JAR references in the classpath. compare the two files and make the appropriate changes and try again.

• 13.  Re: CA_APM_Standalone_Agents and ServiceWrapper

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2017 04:13 PM

Actually, look at the original BAT file and compare it to the CONF file of EPA. Add any missing JAR references to the CONF classpath section.