Endevor

• 1.  Speed up UNLOAD time

Posted Dec 18, 2017 12:24 PM

Greetings,

We have a system (CXX) that has 120 sub-systems and a total of  73,304 elements.  The weekly (full) UNLOAD takes 7 hours.  What can I do to help speed this up?

Thank you,

Rick

• 2.  Re: Speed up UNLOAD time

Posted Dec 19, 2017 06:39 AM

Hi Rick

did you do any performance monitoring to find out where you Unloads spends most of the time?

in the past we made the experience that we "lost" a lot of time on the Delta files.

At that point in time our delta files were PDS files and due to the fact that the Unloads frequently reads the delta members CA PMO ( caching PDS directory information) helped us to speed up one Unload from 2 hours to 10 minutes.

where do you store your delta Information for that system ?

Maria

• 3.  Re: Speed up UNLOAD time

Posted Dec 19, 2017 07:46 AM

Hi Maria,

our Delta's are PDS.  We have the C1MSGS1/2 DD's going to SDSF SYSOUT - which is no longer available to me from Saturday's run.  I do recall that the majority of the time was in a couple SUBSYSTEMS though.  I'll have to put in an override to capture the data... 

It is unlikely that we will get CA PMO installed here anytime soon.

Thanks,

Rick 

• 4.  Re: Speed up UNLOAD time
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 19, 2017 08:10 AM

Hi Rick

you should try to Monitor your unload Job with a Performance tool, e.g. Strobe or APA to identify where the Job spends most of the time.

Suspecting that the Delta files could be one factor of your performance problem.

With the PDS files: how many members are in the different PDS files?

did you think about migrating them to PDS/E?

we did that with PDS files that contained more than 50.000 members that were formerly served by PMO.

That really increased the write performance - especially for parallel updates - and did not do any harm for the unload performance. So that might also be an idea for you  for further Investigation ?

Maria

• 5.  Re: Speed up UNLOAD time

Posted Dec 22, 2017 01:07 AM

Hi, It would be helpful to see the jcl and job log.  I suggest using REGION=0M in the job card. Also, I had success with using the below to backup my ENDEVOR files...much faster and more flexible:

//ENDRBKUP JOB (24186),'BKUP END',CLASS=P,MSGCLASS=O,                          
    //             MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=0M,USER=I07XX00                                                                                              
    //*  RUN DAILY AT 2000 (8:00PM) ??                                                                                                                        
    //MYLIB JCLLIB ORDER=PGMR.PROCLIB                                              
    //STEP010  EXEC PGM=ADRDSSU                                                    
    //SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*                                                        
    //*APE1    DD   DSN=GRT.GIOIDXM.AP.END.TEST.BACKUP,           FOR TESTING      
    //TAPE1    DD  DSN=DRGDGT.GIOIDXM.AP.END.DAILY.BACKUP(+1),      MAKE GD  7     
    //             DISP=(,CATLG,KEEP),                                             
    //             LABEL=EXPDT=98014,                                              
    //             UNIT=TAPE                                                       
    //SYSIN    DD  *                                                               
     DUMP DATASET( -                                                               
        INCLUDE ( -                                                                
      SYEND1.ACMROOT,  -                                                           
      SYEND1.ACMXREF,  -                                                           
      SYEND1.PACKAGE, -                                                            
      SYEND1.*.MCF,  -                                                             
      GRP.AP.END**,  -                                                             
      GRQ.AP.END**,  -                                                             
      GRT.AP.END**,  -                                                             
      GRU.AP.END**)) -                                                             
        OUTDDNAME (TAPE1) -                                                        
        OPTIMIZE(4) -                                                              
        TOL(ENQF)                                                                  
    /*