Rally Software

• 1.  How can I see Milestone reporting for a specific Project hierarchy?

Posted Dec 21, 2017 03:26 PM

I have an entire Portfolio area (a large Project hierarchy) that shares Milestones in my workspace.  Teams in that area want to see a Milestone reports such as the Burnup and Cummulative Flow for only their team's work instead of the entire Portfolio area.  How can they see this?

We see that the milestones can be applied at the story level and information can be derived that way, but doing so is not practical for the number of stories in a team so that is not a great solution.  Milestones are assigned primarily at the Feature level, and the Features are assigned to our teams.  Other ideas?  Thank you!

• 2.  Re: How can I see Milestone reporting for a specific Project hierarchy?

Posted Jan 11, 2018 12:22 PM

Rebecca, I've been meaning to tinker with this but haven't had time. I'd suggest trying some of the "super customizable" series of charting apps both in the app catalog and at GitHub - RallyCommunity/super-customizable-cfd: A super-customizable cumulative flow diagram, aka a CFD, for Rally . You might try coming at this from a different direction- like a query string along the lines of (PortfolioItem.Milestone.Name = "your milestone"). I haven't tried to debug this yet but maybe it will help you get started. Hope that helps!

• 3.  Re: How can I see Milestone reporting for a specific Project hierarchy?

Posted Jan 11, 2018 01:17 PM

Thank you Eric!  I do see how the customizable CFD could be used if we look at the stories in a specific team, then using filters to capture only the things assigned to a milestone so that is a definite start.  I would still like to see the apps mentioned above respect the Project hierarchy someday, but this is a good workaround.

• 4.  Re: How can I see Milestone reporting for a specific Project hierarchy?

Posted Jan 11, 2018 01:20 PM

Another thing that would be helpful is to see a trend line for Milestones within a Project hierarchy, much like we see on the Portfolio Burndown with Trend report.  This way, each team/train can see whether the milestones they have targeted are actually reasonable.  Of course I can manually add the items with a specific milestone to this app, but that is tedious and the list may change over time.  Any ideas on this one?