Rally Software

• 1.  How do I extract FLOW STATE

Posted Dec 26, 2017 03:41 PM

Started using Team Boards. As stories progress through the flow that I have created I see in the revision history of the story it says, "FLOW STATE changed from [AAA] to [ZZZ]." I'm trying to create some kind of report that shows what STATE is taking the most time.  I was thinking of using the Excel Add-in, but don't see an option to extract FlowState.  If I manually add the query it will show a blank field.  I thought I might be able to use revision history, but it will only show a URL vs actual revision changes.

• 2.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 28, 2017 11:12 AM

Currently, the Team Board's Flow State is only exportable via the WSAPI. It's an API that lets you get lots of information from Agile Central, so if you're interested in doing advanced reporting, I'd recommend you check it out as a possible approach to extracting data. You can learn more at https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/ 

If your goal is to know which state is taking the most time, the Team Board has a Cumulative Flow Diagram (CFD) in the reports section in the upper right. You can use this to determine how long each state is taking by looking at the horizontal distance of a band. That is, drawing a line parallel to the x-axis, which band requires the most distance. That is the state that is taking the most time.

If you have any more questions, just let me know!

-William

• 3.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Posted Jan 02, 2018 01:24 PM

Thank you for your response.  The CFD would be perfect, but it only recognizes the Scheduled State and not the Flow State.  I will look into the API as currently the Excel plugin does not give me the option to extract Flow State data.

Thanks,

Scott

• 4.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2018 01:41 PM

Hi Scott,

On the Team Board there's a graph icon in the upper right that opens a CFD by Flow State (screenshot below). Are you saying yours is showing schedule states for that? If so, there may be a bug.

-William

• 5.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Posted Jan 02, 2018 03:10 PM

Below is a picture showing my SCHEDULED STATE's.  If mine looked like yours, showing flow states, that would help a lot.

• 6.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2018 04:02 PM

If your board has different flow states, but that chart is giving the options as schedule states, then I think you've got an issue that Support could help with. You can contact them via Agile Central with "Support" in the bottom black bar or "Contact Support" under the "?" icon in the upper right if you have no black bar at the bottom.

• 7.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Posted Jan 03, 2018 01:48 PM

It's not just ScottyD- every Team Board that I look at shows the CFD strictly by Schedule State.

• 8.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Posted Jan 03, 2018 01:52 PM

I did use the WSAPI and I see the option for FLOW STATE, but all I ever get is SCHEDULE STATE.  I'm thinking that FLOW STATE is not exposed, which is probably related to the CFD not working correctly.  Regardless I did submit an official support request.

• 9.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2018 11:04 AM

FlowState can not be fetched, see the WSAPI field definition:

Explicit Fetch = false.

• 10.  Re: How do I extract FLOW STATE

Posted Oct 17, 2018 06:10 PM

As a workaround, I export all user stories from the Plan > Work Views page where Flow State can be added as a column. Granted it's a PITA, but I only need to pull this for an offline status report once a week, so it's not horribly heinous.