Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Replication to live DSEE instance

Posted Dec 27, 2017 02:37 PM

We are doing our preliminary work in anticipation of a DSEE to CA Dir migration.  I understand how to configure the bi-directional replication and how the Oracle retro-changelog is involved.  My question is, if I have an export of a live production DSEE instance and use that data to load CA Dir, when I create the replication agreement, how does CA Dir know where to start in the retro-changelog to get caught back up?  Since the changelog may have been up for days (depending on settings of how much data to maintain in it), we wouldn't want CA Dir to start from the beginning of the changelog and replay every change.  Or at least I don't think we would.  Looking for input from someone who maybe has been through this already.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Replication to live DSEE instance
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 27, 2017 05:56 PM

The answer lies in when to start the retro-change log and the difference in time when the export was taken. Ideally we would like to keep this as short as possible. Also here is some additional notes on purging entries which are no longer needed for replication. Not sure if this helps OR not, but let know if there are additional questions.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-directory/12-6/en/administrating/migrating-from-oracle-directory-server-enterprise-edition-to-ca-directory/phased-migration

Enabling Retro Change Log

Refer to the ODSEE product documentation for instructions on enabling the retro change log. Once enabled, CA Directory starts querying ODSEE for updates as they occur. Therefore, the change log should be enabled when ready to go live with a phased migration. ODSEE must be configured to periodically purge change log entries that are no longer required for pull-replication. Care should be taken to ensure that entries are not purged before they have replicated.

• 3.  Re: Replication to live DSEE instance

Posted Dec 28, 2017 02:11 PM

Thanks Hubert.  That was exactly what I was looking for.

• 4.  Re: Replication to live DSEE instance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2018 11:31 AM

The other command that should be run when you are ready to being the integration is 'dxdisp -c'. This creates a checkpoint and determines the timestamp of the first set of changes that should be considered for replication from Oracle. It's also described in the phased migration section of the documentation.