Clarity

• 1.  Turn Off user notifications

Posted Jan 02, 2018 10:39 PM

CA PPM Version : 14.3

I get HR feed for employee update (new/termination/update). There are quite a few employees at director level and above and they will be set up as 'Application user' but their status will be 'Lock' (Not to include in the license count) in the Admin side .   They never use clarity so I will not be able to ask them to turn off notifications from their account settings->Notifications page

I know that the table clb_notifications is storing the user notifications. 

Is there any better way to turn OFF the email notification from 'admin' for other users?

I'm sure this is very common for any customer and I'm curious to know how this is handled

Note:  I did go through the post CA Clarity Tuesday Tip  - Querying User's Notification Options  but the link is not working

See KB TEC572247
    Clarity: How Can I See What Notifications Users Have Enabled Under Account Settings 

URL: https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=572247

Thanks in advance for your help

-Venkitta

• 2.  Re: Turn Off user notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2018 11:27 PM

As you are in 14.3 there is a global notification setting which we have provided, i.e .PPM--> ADMINISTRATION --> NOTIFICATION --> NOTIFICATION DEFAULT SETTINGS

Here you can publish for everybody and then if any user who would want to enable notifications can do via user Account settings 

Clarity: How Can I See What Notifications Users Have Enabled Under Account Settings 

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 3.  Re: Turn Off user notifications

Posted Jan 03, 2018 05:31 AM

Thanks Suman

I get the below error, when i click on the idea link from your link

Idea: System Level Setting for Notification Section

• 4.  Re: Turn Off user notifications

Posted Jan 02, 2018 11:32 PM

You can set the Notification Default Settings from Administration / Data Administration / Notifications - access the second tab Notification Default Settings - any new accounts created after that will have the new settings.

You can also publish these defaults, which means that every user account will have these set to the new settings, and then request existing users to review their settings to adjust their personal notifications.

Not ideal, but one way to turn them off.

• 5.  Re: Turn Off user notifications

Posted Jan 03, 2018 05:33 AM

I need the notifications to be turned on for most of the users but restrict only for directors and above level.  As an admin, i can't turn off the notifications for them.  

Is it a better idea to insert a record into the table clb_notifications_pref to turn off the notifications for the list of users?

Thanks

• 6.  Re: Turn Off user notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 03, 2018 05:34 AM

Inserting directly into the database is never a good approach 

• 7.  Re: Turn Off user notifications
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 04, 2018 11:53 AM

Hi Venkitta,

I ran into this issue previously and resolved it by using a dummy e-mail for those users. That way although the notification is created it won't actually be received by the user. The down sides with this solution are 1) if you have an automated update process of your user details you will need to make sure you don't overwrite the e-mail address and 2) if any of those users ever need to receive notifications or reports you won't have the correct e-mail in the system. But if they are in CA PPM just so their name shows up in pick lists then this may work for you.

Thanks,

Tom