Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

Does Application Test component of DevTest allow for leveraging Cobol Copybooks to aid in Parsing Mainframe datasets?

• 1.  Does Application Test component of DevTest allow for leveraging Cobol Copybooks to aid in Parsing Mainframe datasets?

Posted Jan 04, 2018 03:44 PM

Team is attempting to pull in file from mainframe and parse data which then will be validated via JDBC call.

For parsing the data, can copybook be leveraged?  Found that cics copybook functions on Service Virtualization component but need for automated test assessment.

• 2.  Re: Does Application Test component of DevTest allow for leveraging Cobol Copybooks to aid in Parsing Mainframe datasets?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 05, 2018 11:36 AM

I believe the answer is 'no, not OOTB'.

The Copybook DPH is part of the virtual service environment and is driven by some initial framework logic that occurs in the respective Listen Step. The DPH relies on a combination of the DevTest Request object, as well as, the copybook bundle configuration and definitions which are retrieved by the Copybook DPH when processing requests. Constructing a simple Request object and setting the mainframe data into the request body is easily accomplished. However, I am not certain what additional code would be required to set up the necessary 'pointers' to the Copybook bundle configuration information. Perhaps, someone has figured this out and can provide a code example. Unfortunately, I do not have an example.