DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  JDBC Postgres connection handling

Posted Jan 05, 2018 02:41 PM

Hello all folks,
    I try to collect some Backends, SQL metrics data for a Postgres driver (I use postgresql-42.1.4.jar with Oracle Java, build 1.8.0_45-b14). This works in general, the metrics "Average Response Time (ms)", "Concurrent Invocations", "Errors Per Interval", "Responses Per Interval" and "Stall Count" are assigned to the right Backends URL and the SQL statements are collected.
    But "Average Result Processing Time (ms)" is assigned to "Unknown Driver" and not to the URL (the JDBC connection).

The Tech-Note TEC616386 explain how the names/SQL Statements are detected, but I can't find a hint how to fix my problem, how to assign all metrics to one URL (JDBC connection) only.

Any idea what's going wrong with the APM Agents (we use 10.3.0 and 10.5.1), is a postgres specific pbd-file available.

Thanks for any suggestion,
    Lutz

p.s.

See Tech-Note https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC616386.html

• 2.  Re: JDBC Postgres connection handling

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 07, 2018 02:37 PM

Dear Lutz:

I am converting to a discussion since a series of broad questions

Dear Team:

Can anyone helpful Lutz with this?

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: JDBC Postgres connection handling

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 07, 2018 04:47 PM

Hi Lutz,

There is no actual official support for Postgres in the 10.3/10.5.x SQL Agent. For details please see Compatibility Guide, "APM Agents" tab: CA Application Performance Management Compatibility Guides - CA Technologies 

So although most of it is working you might be hitting some Postgres driver compatibility problem.

I believe there will be official SQLAgent support for Postgres & MySQL in upcoming in APM 10.7 (GA tentatively planned for mid- February). 

The 10.5.2 sqlagent.pbd already has postgresql & mysql classes added to it, so you can try that to see if it resolves the symptoms, although the official support won't be until 10.7. If you still have problems with 10.5.2 please create a support case so we can check if root cause is something that should be fixed in 10.7.

Thanks,

Lynn

• 4.  Re: JDBC Postgres connection handling

Posted Jan 09, 2018 06:42 AM

Hello Lynn,

nice to know Postgres and MySQL are supported with APM 10.5.2 (and the future releases).

I add the pbd-file entries used by the APM 10.5.2 agent to a user pbd-file used by a APM 10.5.1 agent and all metrics data assigned to the right SQL statement as well. It seems to me, I used the wrong classes in the user pbd-file.

I'm happy, thanks for your help.

With regards,

Lutz

p.s.

Copied from sqlagent.pbd file used by the APM 10.5.2 agent:

#postgresql
    ########################################################################
    IdentifyDeepInheritedAs: org.postgresql.core.BaseConnection    SQLAgentConnections
    IdentifyClassAs: org.postgresql.jdbc4.Jdbc4Connection    SQLAgentConnections
    IdentifyDeepInheritedAs: org.postgresql.core.BaseStatement    SQLAgentStatements
    IdentifyDeepInheritedAs: org.postgresql.core.BaseResultSet    SQLAgentResultSets

• 5.  Re: JDBC Postgres connection handling

Posted Jan 09, 2018 09:39 AM

Hello Lynn,

I started some simple testing based on the APM 10.5.2 agent, the Postgres metrics data is reported also, but the used database name (Postgres) will not added to the URL, whatever. With DB2 and Oracle the name of the used database application is added to the URL name.

An additional "Backends" branch called "org.postgresql.core" report some additional data as well.

Nice to see,

Lutz

p.s.

I continue based on the APM 10.3.0 agent. This is the most easy way, because the agent is used today and I get the missed metrics data by adding some user pbd-file entries only. In the future I switch to APM 10.7.1.

• 6.  Re: JDBC Postgres connection handling

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 09, 2018 10:25 PM

Hi Lutz,

Glad to hear that you now have it working. 

Thanks

Lynn