DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

SQL connection retrieval

• 1.  SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 06, 2018 10:24 AM

Hi,

Is there any way to retrieve the connection details mentioned in SQL probe via API. I tried with documentation link which is used for retrieving probe values but am getting error.

• 2.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 08, 2018 04:47 AM

Hi,

Which probe are you talking about? sqlserver? sql_response?

Did you have a look at the available callbacks? (CTRL+P on the probe within IM)

• 3.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 08, 2018 04:57 AM

Hi,

Am talking about SQL server probe.  Let me check controller call backs.

On 08-Jan-2018 3:18 PM, "Christophe_Sperandio" <

• 4.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 08, 2018 06:52 AM

Hi,

I have checked controller call backs, and it gives only information. I need to retrieve all connection details ( name or description) mentioned in connections tab of SQLSERVER Probe.

• 5.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 10, 2018 05:56 AM

Sorry for the delay!

If there are no callbacks to get this, you should probably rely on the cfg file and parse it again to get those information. You could remotely retrieve it using callbacks on the controller.

• 6.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 10, 2018 06:42 AM

Hi,

I found text_file_get call back in controller where we need to give 2 arguments

directory= probes\database\sqlserver

File=sqlserver_monitor.cfg

once it is executed, it is giving output there.

any idea on how to proceed further. please help.

• 7.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 12:05 PM

Are you trying to pull in the connection details because you are looking to update the passwords in the connections when they get expired?  If so, then I believe I have a solution for you that allows for this to be done in a nice semi-automated and controlled way.

• 8.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 10, 2018 12:17 PM

Hi,

Am trying to take inventory of SQL instances available in SQL Server probe .

Would be helpful if you share me the the solution what you have, so that I can modify as per my need.

Thanks a lot for helping.

• 9.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 12:21 PM

if you are just looking for the information

Might want to look at this KB on using NSA probe to collect probe configuration and add to a database.

Hope this helps

• 10.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Posted Jan 10, 2018 12:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Let me check above document and solution which will be given by @Rich.Lankester

• 11.  Re: SQL connection retrieval

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 12:34 PM

Gene's réponse probably is a better fit than the solution I have.  It is a fairly heavy weight way to collect info to locate specific probes and connections using specific users in their connection info.  Unfortunately, it won't truly help identify unique instances of SQL as the focus is on managing updates to user credentials.

If you still want this solution please send me an email (Richard.lankester@ca.com) and we can discuss how we might provide this solution to you in a controlled way.