Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Unable to set Password Policy in CA Directory

Posted Jan 16, 2018 07:17 AM

For setting password policy , I have done following changes in  DXHOME/config/knowledge/serverName.dxc

set password-policy = true; set password-min-length = 7; set password-alpha = 3; set password-numeric = 3; set password-history = 2;

After making these changes password policies are not applied i.e, even if password length is 3 it is working but ideally it should not work.
    Is there something i'm missing in configuration or do i need to update some other files. 

• 2.  Re: Unable to set Password Policy in CA Directory

Posted Jan 16, 2018 09:12 AM

Pradhap Pradhap1125

Could you explain how you are testing the applied password policy. If the user already has a pre-existing password that'll continue to work even after the Password Policy is applied. When you try to change a password, at that moment the new Password Policy would apply.

Having said the above, you are stating "even if password length is 3 it is working but ideally it should not work". If it is Password Rule for length that we'd like to apply then we should be defining the below. Did we restart the DSA after the configurations were applied ?

https://docops.ca.com/ca-directory/12-6/en/administrating/manage-user-accounts-and-passwords/create-a-password-policy/how-to-configure-password-quality-rules#HowtoConfigurePasswordQualityRules-SetPasswordLength

Set Password Length

To set the length of new passwords, use one or both of these commands:

set password-max-length = number-chars | 0;  set password-min-length = number-chars; 

Regards

Hubert

• 3.  Re: Unable to set Password Policy in CA Directory

Posted Jan 16, 2018 09:28 AM

Dear Hubert,

After making changes to password policy, for testing i'm adding new entity, for that entity when i am giving password of length 3 it is getting added successfully which ideally should not happen.

Note : I have restarted dsa after setting password policy.

I am using same mentioned command for setting password length.

set password-max-length = number-chars | 0;

set password-min-length = number-chars;  

but it's not reflecting. Please Help 

Regards, 
    Pradhap

• 4.  Re: Unable to set Password Policy in CA Directory

Posted Jan 16, 2018 09:59 AM

Thank You Pradhap Pradhap1125

Could we add the Password Policy Configurations in the settings configuration file.

$DXHOME/config/settings/instance.dxc

Refer to help file.....

$DXHOME/config/settings/settings.help

Please remove the Password Policy Configuration from DXHOME/config/knowledge/serverName.dxc

NOTE

Check your 'server initialization file' which 'settings configuration file' is being loaded.

Initialization File : $DXHOME/config/server/instance.dxi

Check "Operational Settings" section. We should see a section as below. Edit that file and add Password Policy configuration.

# operational settings
    source "../settings/sstore.dxc";

Regards

Hubert

• 5.  Re: Unable to set Password Policy in CA Directory
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 12:11 PM

This was reported in support case 00936570 and has been addressed.