Rally Software

• 1.  Why is the Tasks status NOT updating the Kanban board status?

Posted Jan 16, 2018 05:23 PM

I am having the opposite issue referenced in this question.  We have users using a custom Kanban board with custom statuses mapped to Iteration Status and they would like the tasks to drive the parent story.  Tasks in progress leave the story in defined Kanban status and all completed tasks do NOT move the story to completed status.

I have reviewed the Task State Updates Parent Schedule State | CA Agile Central Help page and I do not have the item enabled and workflow is checked.  From what I can tell - the tasks should be driving the story status on the kanban board.

Where else should I look or what is preventing the story status from being updated?

How can I prevent a User Story from automatically moving to complete if all its tasks are completed? 

• 2.  Re: Why is the Tasks status NOT updating the Kanban board status?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2018 06:38 PM

Hi Rob, if you view your project, do you have "Auto State Update" enabled or disabled.  If you enable this option, the task state will automatically update the parent's scheduled state, thus driving the parent across the kanban board.  Give that a try and let me know how it works for you.  Thanks, Edwin

• 3.  Re: Why is the Tasks status NOT updating the Kanban board status?

Posted Jan 17, 2018 09:44 AM

Yes, Auto State Update is enabled.  Everything I see should be automatically updating based on the task but it is not.

• 4.  Re: Why is the Tasks status NOT updating the Kanban board status?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:57 AM

Rob, your custom Kanban state will not be automatically updated due to Task changes -- regardless of whether you have the "Auto State Update" option turned on for the Project or not. With "auto state update" enabled, the parent Story's Schedule State is updated with Task state changes, but this does not automatically update the custom Kanban state (even though you probably have your custom Kanban states mapped to a Schedule State).  This is by design -- a key principle of Kanban is the idea that work is "pulled" to the next state as capacity becomes available.  Doing automatic state changes would violate this principle.  Kanban Explained | CA Agile Central Help