CA Service Management

• 1.  Migration from Service Desk 14.1.4.01 to 17.0

Posted Jan 17, 2018 03:46 PM

Hi! I am planing the migration from Service Desk 14.1.4.01 to 17.0 and of course I am reading the documentation and I see two forms to migrate the application

the first one is using the migration console incluede I am understod that this is include de ISO.  

the second one is using Use the Swing Box Method to Upgrade/Migrate to CA SDM 17.0 

Currently I have Windows Server 2012R2 For the application Server and SQL Server 2012(Customer A) and SQL Server 2014 (Customer B)

My thoughts:

First method: accordin whit the  supportability-matrix with my actual version of SO and SQL Server I will be fine at least until the new Service Desk manager version, and technically I can upgrade in the same system.

Second Method: if the second method need another Server for the application then I am only see for my case that this method is for upgrade also the Aplication Server and SQL Server to 2016.  I read that this is the preffer method is this right?

which method did you use?

Thanks!!!

• 2.  Re: Migration from Service Desk 14.1.4.01 to 17.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 03:53 PM

Walter.........

The migration console/installer is used for an in-place upgrade.

The SWING Box method is performed by using a separate server, herein referred to as a SWING system to replicate the current production system and then migrate to SDM 17.0. Move the migrated CA SDM data and customization over to a clean server (never before migrated) and install on a new hardware. This method leaves your current production system fully in-tact in case of a Disaster Recovery issue or failed migration. An additional advantage is that with a VMware environment as the SWING system you can use the snapshot functionality to test the migration process multiple times, and gather data on timings and steps.

Most customers use the SWING BOX method to install SDM on new hardware, test the upgrade and modify any existing customizations prior to upgrading their PROD environment.

• 3.  Re: Migration from Service Desk 14.1.4.01 to 17.0
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 17, 2018 04:12 PM

We recently upgraded and chose the straight upgrade method....The unified installer was helpful and made things easier.  Like Paul said, we used the swing box when we bought new hardware and were upgrading the OS's of our systems

• 4.  Re: Migration from Service Desk 14.1.4.01 to 17.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 04:22 PM

Walter, if you use method 1 as you described, make sure you have EVERYTHING backed up before running the in-box

upgrade/migrate. This includes mdb, and sdm install. You can consider image backup if possible. Thanks _Chi

• 5.  Re: Migration from Service Desk 14.1.4.01 to 17.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2018 02:01 PM

Walter.........

Do you have any additional questions regarding migrating from SDM 14.1 to 17.0?

If not, please mark one of the provided answers as correct so that this thread can be closed