Test Data Manager

• 1.  For release 4.4, profiling was moved into the Portal.  Are there any dependencies on Datamaker?  Is the profiling on zSeries still valid and in sync with the Portal profiling?

Posted Jan 23, 2018 03:52 PM

I would like to run Profiling against a large mainframe database.  I dont know if this is supportable via Portal as there were limitations in Data-maker.  Is mainframe profiling still available and useful as an option?

• 2.  Re: For release 4.4, profiling was moved into the Portal.  Are there any dependencies on Datamaker?  Is the profiling on zSeries still valid and in sync with the Portal profiling?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 04:05 PM

The profiling on datamaker and TDM Portal are independent of each other. The new profiling in TDM Portal is focused on identifying PII data while the datamaker profiling has other features like understanding row counts, null values etc as well. You can read about them at the below link:

Data Discovery and Profiling - CA Test Data Manager - 4.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Unfortunately DB2 on the mainframe z/OS is not supported by the new data profiling but it supports DB2 on LUW.

• 3.  Re: For release 4.4, profiling was moved into the Portal.  Are there any dependencies on Datamaker?  Is the profiling on zSeries still valid and in sync with the Portal profiling?

Posted Jan 23, 2018 05:21 PM

Thanks for the response Anil.  The profiling that the Mainframe component provides will create profiling information.  Th is still mentioned in some of the Videos and documentation.  Is this still usable by Datamaker in 4.4 by and viewable via the Portal 4.4?  Or is DB2 for zOS obsolete?  The database I am working with is a large System of Record zOS DB2 database for Verizon Wireless.  What options exist?  We would like to use Profiling to do discovery, a lot of SMEs have left.  Thanks

• 4.  Re: For release 4.4, profiling was moved into the Portal.  Are there any dependencies on Datamaker?  Is the profiling on zSeries still valid and in sync with the Portal profiling?

Posted Jan 25, 2018 08:38 AM

Thanks for the clarification Anil.  I understand now that we have Portal (for PII), Datamaker (Datamaker for Deeper Analysis)  and I still am looking for an answer on whether the Mainframe profiling is still valid.  My concern is due to the size of the mainframe database, profiling from Datamaker may not be 100% functional.  With the DB2 ADDON component comes Profiling.  I need some clarification whether this is still valid, before I go do the TDM Maifnrame install and configure and schedule profiling.  I appreciate all your responses.  You seem to be very active here and it helps.

• 5.  Re: For release 4.4, profiling was moved into the Portal.  Are there any dependencies on Datamaker?  Is the profiling on zSeries still valid and in sync with the Portal profiling?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 25, 2018 11:17 AM

Unfortunately i have not worked on the mainframe profiling part so unable to answer your question. I believe the best option would be for you to raise a support ticket so that they can check with the dev team on this.