IDMS

Expand all | Collapse all

We have a need to compare an ADSA application between two dictionaries. We can run ADSORPTS for the application from both dictionaries and do a compare. Is there a better way to accomplish this task ? Can dictionary migrator be of help with this ?

• 1.  We have a need to compare an ADSA application between two dictionaries. We can run ADSORPTS for the application from both dictionaries and do a compare. Is there a better way to accomplish this task ? Can dictionary migrator be of help with this ?

Posted Jan 25, 2018 05:12 PM

We have a need to compare an ADSA application between two dictionaries. We can run ADSORPTS for the application from both dictionaries and do a compare. Is there a better way to accomplish this task ? Can dictionary migrator be of help with this ?

• 2.  Re: We have a need to compare an ADSA application between two dictionaries. We can run ADSORPTS for the application from both dictionaries and do a compare. Is there a better way to accomplish this task ? Can dictionary migrator be of help with this ?

Posted Feb 01, 2018 09:16 AM

I doubt my process is the most efficient, but I execute PGM=USMGRTR. This produces about 15 datasets that contain the various components that are impacted by a change to a Dialog - including the ADS code, I believe. Execute PGM=USMGRTR in both the systems under which you want to compare. You can then compare the datasets individually using SuperC under TSO (or download the files to your PC and use a more colorful compare utility such as CompareIt.) You will notice that IDMS will not extract components in the same order in the 2 systems so you may have some adjustments to do in order to make the compare tool recognize 'like for like' code/objects.

• 3.  Re: We have a need to compare an ADSA application between two dictionaries. We can run ADSORPTS for the application from both dictionaries and do a compare. Is there a better way to accomplish this task ? Can dictionary migrator be of help with this ?

Posted Feb 06, 2018 04:07 AM

Hi,

You can try to run PGM=IDMSDDDL this will punch the ADSA application into datasets against the dictionaries.

PUN PRO <application-name> AS SYN.

PUN LOAD MOD <application-name> WITH SYN.

then, after you can run a compare job,  or, using SuperC under TSO to compare the datasets.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Sushil Joseph 

• 4.  Re: We have a need to compare an ADSA application between two dictionaries. We can run ADSORPTS for the application from both dictionaries and do a compare. Is there a better way to accomplish this task ? Can dictionary migrator be of help with this ?

Posted Feb 06, 2018 08:49 AM

Thank you ShulzP. I had the same issue with ADSORPTS where the extracted items are not in the same order; so the comparison is a bit difficult to do but manageable. I am thinking of downloading the outputs to a PC, parsing the output and storing in a SQL Server database. I have done that for some other reports and it works really well. I will try running the USMGRTR utility and see if that will work better than ADSORPTS.

Thank you Sushil.

What we are really looking for is not just if the applications are same or different. We want the

differences to be easily identifiable so that we can manually make them to either dictionary. As mentioned earlier, I will try the USMGRTR or ADSORPTS utilities.

Sat Pal