Cheers to another great hackathon project by graan19 which has given us Work Item Templates! These are similar to rich text templates in our Editable Details Page, but they are available in our Quick Detail Page (QDP) and they allow you to create templates for multiple fields at once and can include child tasks.
This new functionality will be in beta soon, so let us know if you're interested in participating!
Creating a Template
To create a template, start with a work item that you'd like to create a template based on and ensure that the fields are filled out correctly and that it has the correct tasks open the work item to base the template off of. Open that work item with QDP and click the "Template" button at the top.
Once the template modal is open, click the New Template button and use the Xs to decide which fields to include in your template. Depending on your permissions, you can also choose who the template is visible to and can also set defaults.
Applying a Template
To apply a template, open a work item in QDP and click the Template button. Once you have found the template to apply, use the Apply button.
Modifying a Template
Similar to rich text templates, there is no means in the template modal to modify an existing template. If you want to update an existing template, you can follow these instructions:
- Create a new work item of the type of template you want to modify.
- Apply the template that you'd like to modify to that blank work item.
- Make the necessary modifications to the work item, then use the Template button to create a new template.
- Once the new template is created, you can delete the old template in the Template modal.
Defaults and Sharing
Any administrator can share templates and set them for defaults at the scope they are an admin for and below. Each user, project and workspace can only have one default at each level, meaning that each user can have a personal default, each project can have a project default, and each workspace can have a workspace default.
- Project and workspace defaults/sharing will apply to the project/workspace that the work item is in.
- Defaults will be applied using this logic:
- If a user-specific default exists, apply that. If not, check for a project default and apply that. If not, check for a workspace default and apply that.
- Project admins can share templates and set defaults for projects that they are admins for. They can also delete any templates for projects where they are admins.
- Workspace admins can share templates and set defaults for workspaces and child projects that they are admins for. They can also delete templates for workspaces where they are admins and those child projects.
- Sub admins can share templates and set defaults for any workspace and project, as well as delete and project or workspace templates.
- No sharing of rich text templates in EDP with work item templates in QDP. Because rich text templates are not field specific, there is no way for this information to be shared with the work item template model.
- When creating templates for stories with associated tasks, only the name and estimate of the tasks will be included in the template. If the tasks have required fields, apply the story template will not create the tasks.