Symantec IGA

Expand all | Collapse all

CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

• 1.  CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 07, 2018 09:16 AM

Hello,

I am trying to install CA IdentityManger 14.1 on Linux. During the installation, I have supplied all the information for Websphere and Oracle DB, However the installation gets stuck and doesn't progress, It shows installing message but never completes. I don't see log getting generated.

Has anyone faced this issue?

Thanks,

Priyotosh

• 2.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 08, 2018 10:01 AM

Hello Priyotosh,

Sometimes this could be to insufficient resources. I would verify your environment has an adequate amount of resources for it to proceed. 

Verify Hardware Prerequisites for Installation - CA Identity Manager - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

You should also see some sort of install log file that may help determine what is causing this. Have you checked in the following location?

Installation Log Files - CA Identity Manager - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Luke

• 3.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 08, 2018 11:02 AM

Priyotosh,

Are you trying GUI or console mode ? is it a fresh install or upgrade ? 

I have seen similar issues in the console mode due to the registry file entry conflict. Find and delete the registry file ".com.zerog.registry.xml" and then try to run the installer. 

This file is a hidden file, so list it using "ls -la" under /var or user's home folder which you use to install IDM.

Additionally you can also try to set "export LAX_DEBUG=true" environment variable as below below article to  print the installer's debug info which will pin point the failure point.

How to get more DEBUG information when Installer is failling ? 

Let me know, how it goes.

Regards

Ashok

• 4.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 12, 2018 09:37 AM

Thanks Ashok for your response, tried deleting the registry file still facing the issue.

After enabling the debug, was able to spot some error. It has been taken care, however I am still facing the same issue.

Thanks,

Priyotosh

• 5.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 09:52 AM

Can you share the Debug Logs to investigate ?

Also validate the required Linux packages as per below kB article.

Linux Installation Requirements - CA Identity Manager - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 6.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 12:05 AM

Hi Priyotosh,

You need to delete these 2 hidden registry files from /var folder (if you are trying to re-install IDM after an Un-installtion of the same)

.CA_IAM_FW.registry
    .com.zerog.registry.xml

As per Ashok, you can use environment variable to generate debug info. If you are working on windows then pressing/holding Ctrl will generate Debug log.

Thanks,

Rajender

• 7.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 12, 2018 01:42 PM

If additional assistance is needed perhaps it is best for you to open a support case where you can share logs and work directly with CA Support.

• 8.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 18, 2018 11:06 PM

Priyotosh - Any luck getting past this?  We are experiencing the same issue installing on WebSphere/RedHat.  We were able to get past the hang during the install by increasing entropy (/sbin/rngd -r /dev/urandom -o /dev/random -t 1).  Once we got past that the installation shows successful.  However, it doesn't appear anything was updated.  We don't see the new ear and the message queue was not created.

• 9.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 22, 2018 04:20 AM

I was also able to get past after increasing the entropy. Actually I had already installed 12.6.8 and on top of that installed 14.1. I don't see the iam_im.ear getting updated, castylear5.1.1.ear got updated. I am able to login to Management console, but not sure if its still using old version.

• 10.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2018 04:35 AM

Did you try creating Dir's and IME's?

Did you check the IM version in IM startup logs?

• 11.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 28, 2018 07:40 PM

Priyotosh- we had the exact same problem but were able to get past it.  I believe that the issue was the location of some of the files was incorrect.  Let me check and get back to you.

• 12.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 20, 2018 02:10 AM

Hi Priyotosh,

Also check the support matrix if the version of Websphere and Oracle DB that you are using is supported.

Server Environments - CA Identity Manager - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

This community post might help - CA IM 14.1 Supported Repositories 

Thanks

Lakshman

• 13.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 21, 2018 08:43 AM

Hello Priyotosh,

Are you installing all components in a single box ? On which OS ? RHEL or CentOS ?

If you install components one-by-one you can troubleshoot what is failing.
    Here the list (every component has its own installer).

1. Install CA Directory

2. Install CA Provisioning Directory

3. Install CA Provisioning Servers

4. Install CA Connector Server

5. Install CA Identity Manager

Let's us know,

regards, Roberto

• 14.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2018 11:43 AM

Just to close this thread, 

This issue was fixed by increasing the entropy value on the Linux system.

Linux Installation Requirements - CA Identity Manager - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Sufficient Entropy

On a Linux system, ensure that sufficient entropy is available. CA Identity Manager requires random data from /dev/random to perform essential cryptographic functions. If data in /dev/random is exhausted, CA Identity Manager processes must wait for random data to be available. This waiting results in poor performance. Use rngd and rng-tools to ensure that /dev/random has sufficient data and reading processes are not blocked.

Alternatives to renaming /dev/random to /dev/urand - CA Knowledge 

• 15.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 27, 2018 05:36 AM

Hi Ashok,

I am right now installing CA Identity Manager 14.1 on RHEL 7.1.

Now, the installation issue was fixed by increasing the entropy value on the Linux system.

As Priyotosh wrote "Installer gets stuck and doesn't progress, It shows installing message but never completes."

It means that not having sufficient entropy blocks installation ?

I understand that not having it causes poor performance but it is not a show stopper to install.

Please can you clarify better ?

Thanks and Best Regards, Roberto

• 16.  Re: CA IdentityManager 14.1 Installation

Posted Feb 28, 2018 07:39 PM

Roberto,

I saw this on 12.6.x also, especially with the other components like the provisioning and connector servers.  If we don't increase the entropy the install never completes.  It definitely worked for us on the 14.1 IM install.