Endevor

• 1.  To the Endevor administrators - which of your sites have gone through the conversion of Cobol v4.2 to Cobol 6.2?

Posted Feb 13, 2018 01:49 PM

I know we’ve all done this in the past with past changes to Cobol over the decades.  

We seek to get basic approach and what issues you may have ran into if any with conversion to Cobol 6.2 and especially when it comes to Endevor.

Insights will help with our plans.

With Cobol 6.2 it brings a whole new set of changes.

Some specifically, the compile listing, which is really different. Changes to the jcl which in turn translates to processors.   

To test the changes of the jcl outside of Endevor first and then apply to processors to confirm they behave the same.

We know about the load libs have to be converted to PDSE, which have. There is still further reading on the changes that IBM has posted.

We realize every site is different and have tools like Xpediter, Intertest, different databases DB2 etc that are involved.

So any lessons learned which anyone can pass on would be appreciated.

We are currently v17 and z/OS 2.3.

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: To the Endevor administrators - which of your sites have gone through the conversion of Cobol v4.2 to Cobol 6.2?

Posted Feb 13, 2018 01:58 PM

Hi Ron,

The processor upgrade was pretty painless.

My biggest recollection was the fact that the Endevor job card needed REGION=200M,MEMLIMIT=3G for a generate to work.

As an aside, look at the latest version of Compuware tools and you can embed the Cobol listing in the load module for debugging and performance analysis (sorry CA)

Stuart

• 3.  Re: To the Endevor administrators - which of your sites have gone through the conversion of Cobol v4.2 to Cobol 6.2?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 13, 2018 04:04 PM

Hi Ron, Please take a look at this presentation:

https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231175545-migrating-to-cobol-6-presentation

P.S. Become good friends with the people at your site that support COBOL   

• 4.  Re: To the Endevor administrators - which of your sites have gone through the conversion of Cobol v4.2 to Cobol 6.2?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2018 10:18 AM

Hi Ron,

The presentation that PhilGineo references above is by Tom Ross from IBM (and a very good one).  Here's one that I gave on the topic a few years back, before COBOL 6 was release I believe.  Feel free to reach out to me if any of this needs clarification or if I can help further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUHkSDrHaQ&t=336s

Scott.