DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  sysloggtw error in logs

Posted Feb 13, 2018 11:27 AM

I'm seeing some error in my sysloggtw probe logs as below:

Feb 13 17:11:22:862 sysloggtw: Problem binding to ipv4 interface! [13]

Feb 13 17:11:22:862 sysloggtw: sockClose:0x7f623c0008c0:172.24.240.5/34284

I'm not sure what could be the reason for this as all my other probes on the machine do not have such error.

My controller is set to communicate with ipv4 only, that too with a specified IP.

• 2.  Re: sysloggtw error in logs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2018 11:30 AM

Is this on a Linux/UNIX system?  If so, do you already have a syslog daemon running?

• 3.  Re: sysloggtw error in logs

Posted Feb 14, 2018 03:34 AM

Hi Robert,

Yes, this is on a Linux system and yes the syslog daemon is running on the system where the probe is deployed.

Regards
    sinab

• 4.  Re: sysloggtw error in logs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 09:37 AM

Is your syslog daemon also listening on UDP port 514?  If so, that's the source of the port conflict since sysloggtw uses that as well. 

• 5.  Re: sysloggtw error in logs

Posted Feb 14, 2018 11:13 AM

Thanks Robert for your valuable insight.

Considering this, if I change port for my syslog daemon to some other port, then sysloggtw should not run into this conflict.

• 6.  Re: sysloggtw error in logs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 12:40 PM

Correct. Are you using that syslog daemon for collecting logs from other systems or just for local syslog?  If you're using it for local syslog, you should be able to disable the UDP listener for it.  If you are using it for collecting logs from remote devices, you may have to rethink things since UDP port 514 is the standard for syslog and many devices will not send to different port.  Either change/disable the UDP port for the syslog server or move the probe to a different system and have that syslog server forward messages to the probe.