DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Connection Status Metric Grouping Issue.

Posted Feb 14, 2018 02:42 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Team,

We have created  multiple domains in our environment but when i am trying to create a metric grouping from Investigator for Connection Status, I am unable to find the domain.

If I put it in any Domain present inside the Super domain then I am able to see the data.

When I am trying to create this from Management Module editor and put the Metric Grouping Agent Expression and Metric Expression Manually then the MG is getting created but I am not able to see the data.
    I do understand that Connection Status Metric is only available in Super Domain.

Would you kindly let me know how to make it possible.

Attaching a screen grab for your reference.

Cheers

Jay

Cell No:551-263-9681

Attachment(s)

docx
    Domain-MG-Issue.docx   252 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: Connection Status Metric Grouping Issue.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 05:02 PM

Hi Jay,

A JavaScript calculator solution may be the best option Getting the Agent ConnectionStatus on a other domain than Superdomain 

Hiko_Davis 's JavaScript calculator  solution listed here ConnectionStatus.zip covers a cluster environment so accounts for agents disconnecting/connecting to Collectors due to MOM load balancing (JavaScript calculator which brings the "ConnectionStatus" metric from Collectors to the MOM where they can be managed across the cluster. The benefit of using this calculator is when agents are load balanced by MOM from one Collector to another)

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Connection Status Metric Grouping Issue.

Posted Feb 15, 2018 04:57 PM

Hi Lynn,

As I have different domain so this MM is under this domain. I want create different ConnectionStatus MG for each JVM. So this MG will be present inside the MM present which in turn present inside the domain.

But I am unable to make it work.

I tried the suggested method by creating a AppServer JVM calculator. But it is working for 1 JVM present inside one server.

I want to monitor all the JVMS present inside all the server under all the different domains.

Cheers

Jay

• 4.  Re: Connection Status Metric Grouping Issue.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2018 05:23 PM

Using a metric grouping will not keep your alert from generating a false alert when the agent disconnects from one collector to another. It's best to use a JS calc like the one I have to monitor connections.

• 5.  Re: Connection Status Metric Grouping Issue.

Posted Feb 27, 2018 02:40 PM

Hi Haruhiko,

I did use the java script calculator .
    But it’s a very crude way of getting the jvm availability. As I need to add one expression for each domain in agentclusters.xml file.

and this will add some resource overhead on the MoM server as well.

I just want to know is there any alternative way/metric  available in APM to cater this requirement apart from EP Agent as well.

Let me give you an example which may not true in this context.
    Like if heap memory utilization is equal to zero. Then we can say the JVM is not available.

Cheers

Jay

• 6.  Re: Connection Status Metric Grouping Issue.

Posted Feb 15, 2018 07:59 PM

Jay,

You have to create a virtual agent to get metrics from superdomain to your specific domain's MM. you have to tune the following metrics expression in agentcluster.xml file

<agent-cluster name="Custom Metric Host" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="Production">
    <agent-specifier>(.*)\|(.*)\|Custom Metric Agent\(Virtual\)(.*)</agent-specifier>

<metric-specifier>Agents\|(.*):ConnectionStatus</metric-specifier>
    </agent-cluster> 

• 7.  Re: Connection Status Metric Grouping Issue.

Posted Feb 27, 2018 03:01 PM

Hi Jay,

I've fought and fought with trying to use agent connection status for JVM availability, but there are a bunch of caveats.

As mentioned above, cross domain groupings and you have to use agent clusters, that leads to even more issues.  Agent load-balancing and now your collectors are having to run java script calculators to try to determine if the agent was there in the previous time slice.  In my experience,  not a good use of the APM.

After beating my head against the APM versus Infrastructure rock enough, we started to move all of the availability type questions to SiteScope.  Basically saying that if the answer is on/off, up/down, present/not present then that is an infrastructure monitor.  If it is how well, how much, how long, trending, performance style questions, that is the APM.

There is no sense in pounding a square peg into the round hole.