DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Mutiple CLR parameter

Posted Feb 14, 2018 10:18 AM

Hi Team,
    As the below mentioned parameter in the IntroscopeAgent.profile captures multiple CLR running in the .NET environment. So I thought of enabling it everywhere wherever I am planning to deploy .NET agent as I do not have to ask the developer for this information. As this line in commented out in the IntroscopeAgent.profile, so I need to know the implications of enabling it before practically doing it on the App Server.

com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs=V2,V4

Cheers

Jay

Cell No:551-263-9681

• 2.  Re: Mutiple CLR parameter
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 12:27 PM

Hi,

Please see Configure .NET Agent Properties - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs property enables the .NET agent to instrument components from more than one .NET Framework version in the same process.

The com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs property enables you to specify which instances of the .NET Framework you want to monitor. For example, if you set this property to monitor only .NET Framework 4, only components that run on .NET Framework 4 report metrics. The com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs property enables monitoring of both .NET Framework 4 and .NET Framework 2 applications and metrics reporting through in-process side-by-side execution.

• 3.  Re: Mutiple CLR parameter

Posted Feb 14, 2018 02:34 PM

Hi Musma,

I do understand the significance of this parameter. But what exactly I want to know if I uncomment the below parameter and put V2,V4 as value in every .NET application I am planning to monitor. Is the Agent is going take more hardware resources in the App Server.

com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs=V2,V4

Is it like this

# com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs=V2,V4 ------- Less H/W Resources

com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs=V2,V4 ------ More H/W Resources.

I hope you understand my question.

Cheers

Jay

Cell No:551-263-9681

• 4.  Re: Mutiple CLR parameter

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 06:48 PM

Hi Jay,

By default i.e. when com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs is not set, the .NET agent only instruments the first .NET Framework version loaded by the application:

Configure .NET Agent Properties - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Therefore if your applications only use 1 version of .NET Framework setting com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs will have no impact

However if your applications use multiple versions of .NET Framework then setting com.wily.introscope.nativeprofiler.monitor.inprocsxs.multiple.clrs to enable multiple version monitoring will cause more overhead because of the additional instrumentation that would result. However it is not possible to determine what that would be in advance and you would need to test it out.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn