CA Service Management

• 1.  Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup

Posted Feb 15, 2018 07:49 AM

Hello Team

In sdm 12.9 version. we have option Primary Server & secondary server & form sdm 14.1 onwards we have COnventional Method & advance availability option available.

I need to know whats the main difference in having Primary Server & Secondary Server option in 12.9 sdm AND Advance Avaialbility Option in 14.1 or later version???

In advance availability option i know we have Standby Bg and app server which is complete application failover architecture  

whereas the option in 12.9 sdm (primary & secondary server) has also failover architecture like if primary is down then seconday will be up and viceversa ...

Please Explain

• 2.  Re: Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2018 08:12 AM

Aamir........

The following documentation explains both the conventional and AA architectures:

How to Install CA SDM - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

• 3.  Re: Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup

Posted Feb 15, 2018 09:04 AM

THanks Paul

• 4.  Re: Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup

Posted Feb 15, 2018 08:23 AM

Hi Aamir,

Advanced Availability architecture was introduced in SDM 12.9.  Now, just to correct one thing, Conventional, Primary/Secondary, does NOT have failover capability.  ONLY Advanced Availability has the ability to do that.  The failover is one capability, but the real advantage that I see with Advanced Availability is that its truly distributed computing - meaning, in Advanced Availability, each app server has its own database agents, so the query load is actually distributed where as on conventional, ALL queries go through the primary, which is where the dbagents are running (they do not run on secondary servers).   Now depending on how you are using the product, there are other advantages.  For example, if you are using web services, what you can do is create groups of app servers.  For example, you can have 4 app servers behind one load balancer for the users to access, and then you can have another 2 app servers behind a separate load balancer url just for web services to hit.  This way if the web services cause a bottleneck or cause something to go down, the users are not affected.  

So it really depends on how you are using SDM to tell you which one would be better for you.  I would recommend Advanced Availability for better performance, but it will require more hardware/servers to use it because it requires a minimum of 4 servers (Background, Standby, App1, App2).  

Hope this helps a bit.

Let us know,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup

Posted Feb 15, 2018 09:04 AM

Hi Jon 

Thanks for explanation

what is the role of load balancer? why we put this infront of sdm app server? 

• 6.  Re: Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup

Posted Feb 15, 2018 09:10 AM

A Load balancer will sit in front of multiple app servers and will distribute the user traffic across those app servers.  Talk to your network  team about how they work :)

• 7.  Re: Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup

Posted Feb 15, 2018 09:18 AM

I will Jon ... one last...can we use load balancer instead making my sdm url to https? will the traffic be secure by using load balancer?

• 8.  Re: Difference in 12.9 & 14.1 or later version setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2018 02:19 PM

Aamir........

Do you have any further questions regarding the differences between SDM 12.9 and 14.1?

If not, please mark one of the provided responses as correct so that this thread can be closed.