Service Operations Insight

• 1.  Simulation instalation patch Meltdown + Spectre

Posted Feb 21, 2018 08:53 AM

How to best set simulation impact instalation patch Meltdown + Spectre on VMWare 6.0 production cluster with 100 VM windows + linux?

Is correct this process:

VPM -> New PDS -> select all VM on production cluster -> set existing cluster "NameProdCluster" -> set reserves CPU + 20% - 30% in old/production CPU capacity reserved (%) other % keep the current state -> Throughput Thresholds keep the current state -> in Placement Options disable all settings ->Solve Placement.

Thanks

Ruda

• 2.  Re: Simulation instalation patch Meltdown + Spectre

Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:58 PM

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, but is your query related to the CA Capacity Management Product or another product?

• 3.  Re: Simulation instalation patch Meltdown + Spectre

Posted Mar 15, 2018 08:27 AM

Yes my query is related to the CA Capacity Manager.

• 4.  Re: Simulation instalation patch Meltdown + Spectre
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 14, 2018 06:58 PM

From what I understand about the Spectre/Meltdown patch, the impact to CPU usage is workload dependent; so there isn't one catch all value. I have read the impact can vary from anywhere between 5% and 20% increase in CPU times. 

So assuming the impact is 20% in the worst case scenario. In VPM we can experiment with this by making Workload templates of each VM and put in a value of 120% for the CPU 'Percent of consumption' value.  For 100 VMs this might be too tedious. 

Do you have access to Capacity Manager? if so you can create a Data Center model and add the cluster and create 1 workload for the model. Then you could add a Resource Scaling scenario and put in a CPU factor of 1.2 to represent a 20% increase and see the impact. 

HTH

>KIP

• 5.  Re: Simulation instalation patch Meltdown + Spectre

Posted Mar 15, 2018 08:31 AM

Thank you for Your consultation. Your answer is perfect. I will use this recommendation.