Rally Software

• 1.  New User Question

Posted Feb 21, 2018 11:33 AM

From an End user

"Hi Everyone! I'm new to Rally and while trying to play around in the tool I came across something that I didn't quite understand. Can anyone help with this please? 
    In Plan -> User Stories, when I change the view between tree and list, totals of Plan Est, Task Est and To Do are changing for a couple of the projects. Why is this happening?"

• 2.  Re: New User Question

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2018 12:07 PM

Hello Colin,

Thank you for posting your question.  It could be the way that you are scoped that is causing this to happen.  If you go to the Project name on the upper right hand and use the dropdown box do you have both the child and parent boxes checked?  This will determine what view you have and what you will see.  If you change to only use the Child project you will get different results.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christian 

• 3.  Re: New User Question

Posted Feb 21, 2018 04:59 PM

End user replied with this 

I had just the child projects selected. And even if I select both child and parent, the difference in totals can be seen between tree view and list view.

So, I still don’t understand why that is happening"

• 4.  Re: New User Question
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2018 06:20 PM

Hello Colin,

Let me see if I can explain this a little better.  It will be dependent on the scooping that I mentioned earlier which determines the hierarchy each view returns.  

• (Tree View)  shows all user stories in a hierarchical display. The highest-level parent user story displays with all related children listed below the appropriate parent user story. This display can be collapsed to show only parent user stories or expanded to view the related child user stories for each parent user story.
    •  (List View) shows a simple flat file listing of all user stories regardless of hierarchical position.

Please let me know if this makes sense of if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Christian 

• 5.  Re: New User Question

Posted Feb 28, 2018 11:22 AM

Hey Christian,

Thank you for the reply. I was the one that asked the question.

Let me take an example so that my question is clearer. Because, I see that, Rally is behaving differently for different cases (Case 1 and Case 2 with different parent user stories). I filtered by the parent user story to check how the views are responding.

Example:  Consider a parent user story with "a" Plan Est (US1 - a). (a=b+c+d  and d=e+f+g )

It has child user stories (US2 - b, US3 -c, US4 -d ) and US4 has 3 child stories (US5 - e, US6 -f, US7- g)

Tree view: Plan Est total is showing as "a", which is right. This is happening in both Case 1 and Case 2.

In List view:  Plan Est total is showing as "a+d" in Case 1 ; Plan Est total is showing as "a" in Case 2. 

I'm guessing Case 2 is responding the way it should.

Let me know if there are any questions, I tried to explain it the best I could. 

Regards,

Niveditha (Nivi)

• 6.  Re: New User Question

Posted Feb 27, 2018 10:40 AM

Colin,

You have a good answer from Christian on the hierarchy vs. the list view in user story page, but I wanted to add that I would recommend using the Work Views page instead.  It is much more robust and provides the opportunity to create a view of whatever work item types you are interested in and layer on filters as needed.  It is a much better UI than the user story page.

• 7.  Re: New User Question

Posted Feb 27, 2018 12:47 PM

Hey meyam01,

I am the new user being referred to in the initial post. 

In work views page, I don't see totals of user story points. Is there a way this can be made visible?