Clarity

• 1.  Documentation to create applicaiton user accounts

Posted Feb 22, 2018 06:08 PM

I am seeking documentation that describes the process to systemically create and maintain users accounts within the PPM application.

Documentation to complete this via CSV file (batch import) and if it is possible to call a CA PPM API to create a user account via a web service.

• 2.  Re: Documentation to create applicaiton user accounts

Posted Feb 23, 2018 03:44 AM

The supported way to create user accounts via a web-service would be the XML-Open-Gateway (aka "XOG").

The documentation for XOG is here (latest version) ; https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-3/en/reference/xml-open-gateway-xog-development 

The specific XOG request that you would construct would be based upon the 'rsm_resources_write.xml' file that you would get if you install the XOG files (from the application iteself).  (A "user" is created when we create a human "resource" in the application)

• 3.  Re: Documentation to create applicaiton user accounts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2018 10:10 AM

I agree with David's response.

Thank you David.

Freddie, are you a PPM SaaS customer by chance? We do have a csv import utility for SaaS but it is for resource (user account) updates. You cannot create CA PPM resources (users) that you expect to also be able to log in through the CA On Demand portal. You would create new users who can log into CA PPM SaaS through the portal manually using ODUM, or the WSDL to update the portal. When you assign the user to one of your development, test, or production SaaS systems, the user is automatically created in CA PPM SaaS. You can use the CA PPM SaaS integration adaptor to update resource (user) information that cannot be brought in through the portal. See Add-in: Integration Adaptor (CA PPM SaaS Only) - CA PPM SaaS - 15.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

If not, you could use the REST API (unsupported) or the XOG (supported) or have CA Services setup or migrate user accounts for you. On-prem admins can manage user accounts directly in the application. See https://docops.ca.com/x/sZ-4G.

Let us know what you decided or if you had any further challenges. We hope you agree, the CA PPM Community is a great resource for sharing ideas and finding answers.

• 4.  Re: Documentation to create applicaiton user accounts

Posted Mar 01, 2018 02:48 PM

David and Damon

Thanks for your feedback and guidance.

We are a CA PPM SaaS customer (new).  I believe that Portal will be used as we intend to use an external IDP to broker the user sign on to the application.

As I have read through your responses and related documentation, it seems the process to update user attributes is done via a CSV file.  And a caveat with the file is to limit the information in the file to be the updated information so as to not overwrite information already contained about the user.

Do I have that right?