DX NetOps

• 1.  Does CA have a timeline of discontinuation for JRE support for the Spectrum product line?

Posted Feb 23, 2018 11:30 AM

My company IT department is starting to asked about when our vendors are planning to discontinue JAVA JRE browser plugin support.  Per the Oracle link below our IT department will be retiring the Java browser plug-in in September 2018. Java 8 will be end of life in September and our IT team will remove it from our desktop/laptops and will not deploy Java 9. We're currently using Java 7 with 9.4.2.1, but we're upgrading soon to 10.2.2 which will use Java 8. My team will need to come up with an internal solution outside of corporate IT to support Java 8 so we can launch OneClick after September. If my company is moving away from JRE I'm sure others are to which means CA needs to start looking at other plugins to support OneClick in the future.

https://java.com/en/download/faq/jdk9_plugin.xml

• 2.  Re: Does CA have a timeline of discontinuation for JRE support for the Spectrum product line?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2018 11:43 AM

Outside of the topology applet ( Configuring Additional OneClick Applications - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  ), Spectrum doesn't use the Java browser plugin.  The OneClick client is a JNLP app and uses Java WebStart, which is not the same as Java browswer plugin.  Java Web Start and JNLP continues to be supported for Java 9:  Migrating Java Applets to Java Web Start and JNLP  .  Spectrum 10.2.2 includes the HTML5 based Spectrum WebClient ( Using CA Spectrum WebClient - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  ).  While not as full featured as OneClick, you may have users that would only need access to WebClient and not OneClick.

• 3.  Re: Does CA have a timeline of discontinuation for JRE support for the Spectrum product line?

Posted Jun 26, 2018 10:52 AM

Oracle has updated the Java SE Support Roadmap on June 22, 2018! The public Updates for commercial users of Java 8 will probably end on January 2019.
    There is no more Support for Deployment Technologies like Java Web Start with Java 9 and later -> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html.

There are certainly companies that will decide against the further use of JRE8 for internal reasons.
    What are CA's current plans to provide the operation of Spectrum to the same extent under the above circumstances ?