AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Jim Spath

Jim SpathMar 05, 2018 01:44 PM

• 1.  11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 05, 2018 01:24 PM

UNIX install of 11.3.6 SP7 halts with not very helpful details:

Upgrade failed. Convert the manually copied instance(s) environment into an environment that can be upgraded successfully. For more information, refer the product documentation. 

How do I "repair" my working environment so the installer moves on?

"Refer the product documentation" (eventually) leads me to DocOps where this is unmentioned.

• 2.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 05, 2018 01:44 PM

This is skeletal, but may be related:

• 3.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 08, 2018 11:44 AM

Hello

If you did a cp -rp autouser.ACE autouser.ZZZ , then yes wa_setup.sh 11.3.6 SP7 will tell "copied instance ....".

If you did a cp -rp ...   just to run client commands such as autorep to an other instance, then you do not really need to upgrade autouser.ZZZ  (for a client there's nothing new in config.ZZZ).  So you can rename autouser.ZZZ to xxxx.ZZZ.

wa_setup.sh does "ls -l  ..../WorkloadAutomationAE | grep autouser"

Then upgrade WAAE. After the upgrade you can rename xxxx.ZZZ to autouser.ZZZ

• 4.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 08, 2018 01:55 PM

The install code should offer to make these repairs, not tell me to do it myself.

• 5.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 06:57 PM

Hi Jim,

How many instance are there in the server? And were they configured manually by copying the autouser.$AUTOSERV directories? If so, the installer would fail with the message.

Please go through the steps documented here to correct the manually created instances, so that they can be upgraded. 

https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-ae/11-4-2/en/installing/ae-installation/unix-convert-a-manually-copied-instance-environment-into-an-environment-that-can-be-upgraded-successfully

Thank You!

Regards,

Kishore Kumar Udathaneni

• 6.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 06, 2018 08:42 AM

How many instance are there in the server?

More than one.  I attempted to upgrade an AutoSys agent, not a server or instance.

And were they configured manually by copying the autouser.$AUTOSERV directories?

The term "manually configured" is new to me, but if that means created outside the CA install images, we have been doing that for about 20 years on UNIX systems.

If so, the installer would fail with the message.

I appreciate the link to the Repair the Instance Created Using the Manual Process.  Given this is a _major_ change in the install from 11.3.6. SP6 and every prior version we've used, I would expect to see this better documented in the release notes. [ Changes to Existing Features - 11.3.6 SP7 - CA Workload Automation AE & Workload Control Center - CA Technologies Docume…  ].  The only mention was as I quoted above on pre-checks.

I also found non-root install attempts do not generate the same message as prior versions, and will open a bug ticket for that issue.

• 7.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 06, 2018 08:47 AM

Get a snapshot of the VM.

Take a backup of the DB at time of upgrade.

I have been doing that since VMs/LPARS on Unix have been available.

It’s the only way to fly.

Steve C.

• 8.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 07, 2018 10:40 AM

The installer will not start with an AUTOUSER directory it doesn't like, it seems.

There are minimal logs after the failure to launch the install script.

I would expect an option to "install in another location" so I could compare the new agent to the old one, as well as the command line tools.

• 9.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 07, 2018 10:47 AM

So I am actually waiting for this to Flesh out. my spidey senses went off and i decided to hold back before diving into the pool.

JIm et al,

wasn't there supposed to be a better pre-requisite test before the install triggered, to prevent the issues Jim and others have just encountered? If i am wrong and its for R12 , thats ok. I just want to know what to expect when it's my turn to play in the pool :-)

As always 

Steve C.

• 10.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 07, 2018 10:55 AM

My first dip in the pool -   My WCC and EEM upgrades went very smoothly.  Autosys is another matter, but in my case its the previous versions fault.  Somehow lsm doesn't know autosys is on the system, so it doesn't trigger the upgrade. 

• 11.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 08, 2018 11:39 AM

Hello

Do you mean that lsm -lOPIF  does not display any WAAE ?

$CASHCOMP/installer/administration/admi  has been cleaned ?

• 12.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 08, 2018 11:49 AM

It's not cleared, all the common components stuff is there, but no waae stuff.  really weird.  The shadow machine has it but not the primary.

• 13.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 08, 2018 11:54 AM

Was this a standard build. Or the cough appliance build...

It may be missing a file it needs to recognize it as an AutoSys instance. Up in /etc

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 14.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 09, 2018 02:16 PM

I renamed an autouser.NNN dir to IGNORE-autouser.NNN and the install did the same thing as before:

...  is a manually created instance.
    Upgrade failed. Convert the manually copied instance(s) environment into an environment that can be upgraded successfully. For more information, refer the product documentation. 

Then moved that dir to a different file system on the same machine and got past that error.

New error:

./wa_setup.sh[838]: /PATH_TO_INSTALL_IMAGE/AIX/wa_self: cannot execute

Opening a ticket.

• 15.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 13, 2018 10:11 AM

> ... Opening a ticket.

This last issue with wa_self was my error; too quick to try the new features, did not verify ISO download checksums.  I re-downloaded and don't see that message now.

Still need to plan for working around the "manual instance" glitch, and the missing non-root install attempt diagnostic.

• 16.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 12, 2018 02:35 AM

Thanks Jim and Linda, we will review the logs to understand the issue better and track it to closure.

• 17.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 12, 2018 06:33 PM

Linda's Case has been resolved by copying those missing files from the Shadow server and updating the hostname wherever needed in the *.prm files.

• 18.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 13, 2018 10:58 AM

I have un-marked this topic as "Answered" as Linda's issues are resolved but not mine (the OP).  Side effect of Jive.

I've installed/upgraded an agent by moving the suspect autouser dir elsewhere, and now get this message when trying to add that instance again.

• 19.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 02:44 AM

Is this just an agent install or a client as well?

which instance's autouser.%AUTOSERV% was moved and why?

Why are you trying to add that instance again?

Does the following command return the instance (%AUTOSERV%) you are trying to add back?

for /f "tokens=7 delims=\" %G in ('reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ComputerAssociates\Unicenter AutoSys JM\11.3"') do @echo Instance: %G

Example:

E:\>for /f "tokens=7 delims=\" %G in ('reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ComputerAssociates\Unicenter AutoSys JM\11.3"') do @echo Instance: %G

Instance: MSQ

If so, then the instance registry subkey needs to exported (backup) and removed, before adding the instance back again.

• 20.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 10:08 AM

First line of this post says:

"UNIX install of 11.3.6 SP7 halts with not very helpful details:"

So that's the premise - install does not proceed, nor does it document exactly why it fails.  I know more now than a week ago.  I will open a ticket on the latest failure once I check with colleagues on priorities.

If so, then the instance registry subkey needs to ...

The install code should manage this, not me.

• 21.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2018 07:47 AM

Installer gets the instance name from several locations.  $AUTOROOT/autouser.ZZZ, /etc/auto.ZZZ, $AUTOSYS/install/varsZZZ.  Check if you have any of the above before you start the add instance.

• 22.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 10:08 AM

Check if you have any ...

"The install code should check" if we have any...

• 23.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2018 12:19 PM

Hi Jim, I'm glad you were successful in getting this upgraded.  We've made a few updates to our documentation in this area which does include Venkat's recommendation:  https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-ae/11-4-2/en/installing/ae-installation/unix-convert-a-manually-copied-inst… 

This also includes the following note:  "CA Technologies does not support the manual creation of an CA Workload Automation AE instance by copying an existing instance environment. While this manual method can result in a functioning instance, it makes the new instance difficult to upgrade using the CA Workload Automation AE installer. However, if you have already created an instance using this manual method earlier, follow the below procedures to convert a manually copied instance environment into an environment that can be upgraded successfully."

• 24.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 16, 2018 01:04 PM

were successful in getting this upgraded

One agent "fixed", several hundred to go.

I will leave this question as "Answered" though I am not satisfied with the way this install works compared to prior versions:

1. The installer does not start under specific conditions of existing data; it should do the following:
      1. Write comprehensive log information on what it found, or did not find, that caused the installer to fail.
      2. Offer to "repair" the situation instead of leaving the user to understand what to do and how to do it.
    2. Replacing an autouser.ACE file with an identical version baffles me.  Why would this matter?  Can't the install logic check this?

• 25.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:08 PM

I have gotten past the latest roadblock, as suggested by Venkat, renaming an /etc/auto.ACE to /etc/NOT_AUTO_ACE.save.

Now "Add Instance" works for that system.

Nothing significantly different in the old and new versions, however:

ACE: diff /etc/NOT_AUTO_ACE.save /etc/auto.ACE
    4c4
    < #* Copyright (c) 2006 CA. All rights reserved. *
    ---
    > #* Copyright (c) 2018 CA. All rights reserved. *

Yes, looking at those dates make me feel old. Ish.

• 26.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:12 PM

You’re a puppy. I remember when those dates said 1997 cough

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 27.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:20 PM

Woof.

• 28.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:23 PM

yeah yeah i have that , a few CDs i believe..

and the one from AutoSystems.. your point?

Lest you forget version 1-2 for me

We had version 1 but we found the version 2 disk.

Steve C.

• 29.  Re: 11.3.6 SP7 install halts for manually copied instance

Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:26 PM

I believe it was 1994 or 1996 .. i forget .. it was so long ago..

Owners: AutoSystems – hence AutoSys.

Then Platinum

Then Computer Associates now CA (not to be confused with ca – Clark Ammons )

Steve C.