Release Automation

• 1.  Upgrading Windows while upgrading CARA

Posted Mar 05, 2018 03:43 PM

We are planning to upgrade from CARA 6.2 to 6.5.  Since our Windows servers are getting dated, we would like to upgrade them at the same time.  What this really means is building new servers to host the Management and Execution servers.

So my question: After I install the management server on a new Windows server, I will modify the configs to connect to the existing database.  Will starting the service at this time trigger an upgrade of the DB objects?  Or will I need to upgrade Windows first, to connect CARA with the existing version to the DB, then perform an upgrade?

• 2.  Re: Upgrading Windows while upgrading CARA
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 04:19 PM

Hi Timothy,

There are two ways that you could go about doing this that come to mind: 

1. Leave the existing production install alone (let's say its 6.3.0.9331). Install 6.3.0.9713 (GA) on the new server and point it to a test db. Install the 9931 cumulative on the new server (still pointing to old db) so that it matches the same release as production environment. Shutdown both environments, reconfigure new environment to point to production database, start services in new environment and proceed with upgrading RA to the version you'd like. This way you aren't:

• pointing an older release to a newer database.
    • pointing two servers to the db at the same time. 

2. Upgrade the existing production install (same 6.3.0.9331) to 6.5. Install 6.5 on the new server (skipping db). Then shutdown services on the old production server, reconfigure new production server to point to production database, start services. Then apply latest cumulative on new server.

Some things to note:

1. The conf directory may have customizations in its files for things like SSL connectivity (NAC<->NES, LDAP, Artifact Repository, etc..) throughout environment. 

2. The webapps/datamanagement/WEB-INF/ might have some customization settings to. For example, distributed.properties might have settings for LDAP. 

If you're using SSL with LDAP then you may have to import their certificates into JRE's lib/security/cacerts truststore in order for them to be picked up by CA Release Automation (whereas previous versions might have retrieved them from a different location). Can't recall the specifics off the top of my head but I would have those certificates handy if you do use LDAPS.

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: Upgrading Windows while upgrading CARA

Posted Mar 05, 2018 06:24 PM

Great info Gregg!  I like your second idea, as in my Dev environment I already upgraded in place, so I'll be able to practice the Windows server replace/move in the same way that I can then apply to production.  

I plan to backup the entire contents of the CA Release Automation folder so that I can compare old to new and make adjustments as needed.