Clarity

• 1.  XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 05, 2018 04:31 PM

I need to XOG out about 40 ideas to change the name of them. The best way I can think of doing this is xogging out those ideas, change the name and then xog them back in.  Any other ideas?  Or can I just create a xog file with just the name and ID and XOG it in without overwriting the existing data in PPM?

If I were to XOG out, what would the line for the XOG file look like?

Any other ideas and feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Garrett

• 2.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 05, 2018 11:45 PM

Personally, just update the data directly in Clarity - it is only 40 records.

Potentially it will take longer to develop the script, built the logic to determine what the new Idea Name should be etc.

You may want to consider using the Idea List view, where you can edit multiple records at one time.

If you want to use XOG, the starting point will be the sample ideas_read and ideas_write xmls provided with the XOG client.

• 3.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 06, 2018 12:04 AM

Hi Garrett-S ,

You can create XOG-script to change the name of 40 ideas. The best option you can use is MAIL MERGE to make the XOG script.

Steps to follow:
    1. Take the excel export of the mandatory fields initiatorUserName, name, objectID, progress and status (of idea) from database.
    2. Update the new name of the ideas in the excel export.
    3. Using sample write script (find below) and mail merge method in Microsoft word document create the whole XOG-Write script.
    4. XOG-IN the script using XOG-Client.

I'm assuming you are aware of the mail merge method or let me know if you need any help on this.

Please try this first on the pre-prod environment.

<NikuDataBus>
    <Header action="write" externalSource="NIKU" objectType="idea" version="8.0"/>
    <Ideas>
    <Idea initiatorUserName="sbhatia" name="admin" objectID="admin" progress="0" status="0">
    </Idea>
    </Ideas>
    </NikuDataBus>

Best Regards
    Shubham Bhatia

• 4.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 06, 2018 08:57 AM

Hi Shubham,

I have only personally done a mail merge once and with that one someone was walking me through it.  Could you help point me in the right direction on how to get started with the mail merge?

When I do the mail merge, it won't overwrite any data in the ideas that's already there correct?

Garrett

• 5.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 07, 2018 01:12 AM

Hi Garrett-S ,

Sure you can follow the below steps:

1. Using SQL query, take the excel export of the idea data  like initiatorUserName, Name, ObjectID, progress & status and change the name of idea with the new values

2. Create a new word document and under mailing click on Normal word document

3. Select the existing excel export file

4. Paste the idea tag with the blank values in the document

<Idea initiatorUserName=" " name=" " objectID=" " progress=""   status="">  

5. Insert the fields (please note I have only added 2 fields)

6. Once added it will look like this and finish it.

7. You will get all the idea tags with the updated name and paste into the XOG below and XOG-IN

<NikuDataBus>
    <Header action="write" externalSource="NIKU" objectType="idea" version="8.0"/>
    <Ideas>
    <paste the coped xml from mail merge>
    </Idea>
    </Ideas>
    </NikuDataBus>

The name will change with the names provided in the excel sheet. You can try with one or two ideas but first try this on pre-prod environment.

Regards

Shubham

• 6.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 07, 2018 11:23 AM

Thanks Shubham!  I will give this a try and let you know if I have any more questions.

Garrett

• 7.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 07, 2018 11:47 AM

When you say take an excel export from the database, is this something I can do as an On Demand customer?  I haven't done this before.

• 8.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 07, 2018 12:34 PM

More like a Export to Excel from a query based portlet.

So you are not considering increasing the record count on the idea list view and filtering if for your ideas and doing the edits there?

• 9.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 09, 2018 01:15 PM

Yes I know it is much quicker and easier to do from the list view but I want to learn how to do mail merge so I figured this is a good opportunity to do it.  Therefore when I get asked to do something more complex I will have this experience in my back pocket.

• 10.  Re: XOG out multiple ideas to change the name

Posted Mar 08, 2018 12:45 AM

Take an export means the results of the executed query in excel format like Idea name, Idea progress etc. Yes you can create a portlet with the below query and take excel export for Mail Merge.

SELECT IDEA.NAME, 
    IDEA.CODE objectID, 
    IDEA.PROGRESS, 
    IDEA.STATUS,
    (SELECT USER_NAME FROM CMN_SEC_USERS WHERE ID = INV.INITIATOR_ID) initiatorUserName
    from INV_INVESTMENTS IDEA
    INNER JOIN INV_IDEAS INV ON IDEA.ID = INV.ID