CA Service Management

• 1.  Advise on Custom fields

Posted Mar 10, 2018 03:34 PM

Hello Team

We have some custom tables and columns created in sdm. which is for CR form and some for IN forms....These tables contains some records...& We need to add some record n it....I want to know how can i add some new data in those custom fields...???...  do i need to do tthis from sql manually?

pls note that these customization done by someone else so i need advise on this.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Advise on Custom fields

Posted Mar 11, 2018 04:14 AM

Hi.
    If these tables and fields were added in a  system conform manner, as I assume, you are able to use  the same principals and tools as you would use for all out of the box tables.
    Like pdm_load or web services.
    Regards
    ....Michael

• 3.  Re: Advise on Custom fields

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 11, 2018 12:10 PM

In addition to Michael,

You need to get the ready in .csv format if you are planning go with pdm_load commands for inserting new data. CA recommends to use pdm_load or webservices so that they will pass through the security/valid data during the bulk insert.

Ensure that you have all the supporting and relevant data in the .csv ready to be loaded.

Note: Suggest you do it with a single record on a test environment and ensure that you have the required data as per your requirement and then move on to the PROD environment.

command: pdm_load -i -f <.csv file>

• 4.  Re: Advise on Custom fields

Posted Mar 11, 2018 09:38 PM

Hi La-Qa,

if you need to maintain these records on a regular basis, you could use Web Screen Painter to create a new list form and detail form for the zcr_module table, and add an entry to the Administration menu tree (e.g. under 'Service Desk / Application Data / Codes') so that you can add / edit records as needed. 

Best practice when creating a reference table is to include an 'active' indicator (often labelled 'delete_flag' - look at a table such as 'crs' in WSP to see how to implement that), so that you can deactivate records that you don't want any more.  Deleting a record from a reference table risks leaving a broken link from the table that references it, with the possibility that a SQL join against the reference table will give a misleading answer at some time in the future.

SQL is not the ideal way to add reference table data, as a new record inserted using SQL will not be given the next 'id' value automatically, whereas pdm_load '-i' and a detail form will both handle that for you.  But SQL can sometimes be useful, e.g. for a bulk update.  After updating a table with SQL, run 'pdm_cache_refresh -t <table name>' to update SDM's cached values, or restart the Service Desk Manager service.

To sum up, you have (at least) three options for maintaining your reference table - pdm_load, list and detail forms and

SQL - and SQL is usually the last preference.

Regards,

James