DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  UIM Database sizing

Posted Mar 13, 2018 11:28 AM

We are pondering our UIM SQL Database configuration and would appreciate any feedback on  correct sizing.  We are not sure whether we fall under the sizing for a medium or large installation and the correct resources. We have approximately 3000 devices, windows and Linux mix. 10 As400's, monitoring for UCS, VMware, Citrix, and Storage environments. I do understand that a lot of emphasis is placed on number of metrics gathered etc. But just going by the most best practice situation. What would the proper cpu and memory requirements be for our database server to insure unhindered operation? Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

TIA

• 2.  Re: UIM Database sizing

• 3.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Posted Mar 13, 2018 01:39 PM

Yeah, Used that. Pretty nebulas. I need someone with real life usage to share their experience.

• 4.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Posted Mar 13, 2018 03:37 PM

Hello Pmurt!

If you need something more detailed, it would be better and recommend you to contact you CA Account Manager then engage someone from CA Services Architect to help you not just at the DB Server details, but in the entire UIM environment, best practices, all the sizings, maintenances, etc...

Kind Regards,

Alex Yasuda
    Sr. Support Engineer

• 5.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Posted Mar 13, 2018 04:13 PM

Yes, have done that to. They keep pointing to the document and saying use its guidelines. I need to converse will some real world individuals.

• 6.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Posted Mar 13, 2018 08:32 PM

I think with 3000+ devices and taking future growth into account , you would fall in between Large to Major , may be you can start with 8 cores processor and 32 GB of memory for database and a minimum of 1 TB for storage .

Again there are different things which might impact the sizing, but the above is where I would start 

• 7.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Posted Mar 16, 2018 10:11 AM

Community, appreciate more eyeballs on this thread.  Who else can offer any experiences on this to our customer here? many thanks. 

• 8.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2018 04:43 AM

@patrick murtey, Does Phani's comment answer your question? 

• 9.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2018 05:29 AM

As you say, this very much depends on a few things - number of metrics turned on and their frequency and the retention in your database (number of days history).

The first two determine your throughput which you will need your cores and to a certain extent, memory.

The last one is all about storage capacity.

In my experience, I would expect this size environment to be classed as medium sized and therefore will probably need to cope with about 2000-3000 messages per second in your data engine.

This you should estimate in your monitoring governance work so that you know roughly the amount of data you are collecting and get a more accurate number than my estimate.

If it is around this amount then I would like to see a primary hub of at least 16 cores and 24gb ram and a database of at least 16-24 cores and 32-48gb ram

If you are keeping your raw data for around 60 days and hourly data for a further 60 days and then the daily for up to a year  then you should allow at least 800gb for the database. Make sure you have plenty of space in your transaction log partition, if you are in full mode.

Please understand these are very rough figures and could have a variance of +- 30% or maybe more.

If you want some help with getting more accurate figures then CA Services can help you.

We have calculators and have done this many times.

Regards

Rowan

• 10.  Re: UIM Database sizing

Posted Apr 06, 2018 11:36 AM

I would suggest to go with CA Documentation  based on robots and qos it going to collect .