CA Service Management

• 1.  Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Posted Mar 15, 2018 06:36 AM

Hello Team

Im doing Fresh Installation of sdm 17.0 with latest release (patch 17.1). But it got failed at 'Configuring CA Service Desk Manager' step. as shown in screenshot2

then i click ok and finish the setup. and run the COnfigure but still it fails at last step. as below.

The error i can see in stdlog is below....cannot connect to domsrvr...what could be issue?

• 2.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2018 09:33 AM

Aamir,

When there's an error about the domsrvr being unable to connect, there's typically other errors associated to it. I think a full review of the logs are going to be necessary here. You may want to open a Support case if nothing obvious is displayed in the logs for you to see.

• 3.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2018 09:46 AM

Following up on that thought, La-Qa, the installation log may also give us more insight into why the configuration failed initially. According to your screenshot, it's located under C:\Users\SERVIC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\casm\install.log (so the user folder for your ServiceDesk user, most likely). If you're not sure what the log is indicating, or you'd like us to assist in the analysis, please open a case and upload both the install.log and your whole log folder for us to examine.

• 4.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Posted Mar 15, 2018 10:17 AM

Dear Joh & Alex

Thanks for your .. Ijust noticed that after failing at last step....the sdm services in services.msc is showing starting status...and after few minutes it changed to 'started'. And now i can login into servicedesk.

i didnt face this type of behaviour since im working on sdm implementation....what could be this issue??

i did again reconfigure to check this issue and agian same thing happened..it failed at last step ..but after few min services started successfully.

if i restart the sdm service from services.msc ..then it not starts...it gives error...sdm services started n then stop...

what could be issue??

also i i checked pdm_status command..4 services not running...wt is related to?? still sdm is accessible

pls advise

• 5.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Broadcom Employee

• 6.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Posted Mar 15, 2018 10:19 AM

Hi Darek

Already i applied this but not worked

• 7.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 03:20 PM

Aamir,

Please let us know if you are continuing to run into difficulties with your 17.1 installation.  If needed, we can review you logging and application behaviours in a support case.

To answer one of your earlier questions, the ehc_nxd, filter_nxd and ehwrter, all have to do with the older NSM integration, which is no longer in use.  These processes can be safely ignored.  The pdm_intrvlog_nxd process is Interval Logging, which is only a concern if you have consciously turned it on in SDM and are using it per Support instructions to review your install for any process deficiencies.

• 8.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Posted Apr 04, 2018 11:23 AM

I just noticed that your installation was done under the E: \.
    Is 8dot3name enabled on the E: \.
    One way to see if the "Service Desk Manager" directory has activated its short name, you run the dir / x command in an MS-DOS window. (see screenshot)

If you cant find (SERVIC~1) the short name is not activated. 

Service Desk needs short name when it tries to execute some script. If 8dot3name is not activated, you will have problems without stopping.

- What I suggest you do is uninstall Service Desk in full,
     - You also erase all CA directories.
     - You open an MS-DOS prompt as administrator.
     - You execute the command: fsutil 8dot3name set E: 0

After you re-install Service Desk from the beginning and inform us during the installation.

I had exactly the same problem, Microsoft does not auto-enable the generation of short names on the disk.

• 9.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Posted Apr 05, 2018 04:06 AM

Something else to check... We had a similar issue and it turned out to be the fact that we had 2x network cards (NIC's) on the server. We had to apply a patch to Service Desk to sort it out. 

• 10.  Re: Fresh installation of sdm 17.1 fails

Posted May 09, 2018 03:19 PM

Jon_Israel is a Pro on these matters, any advice to them Jon?