Symantec Access Management

• 1.  SPS Error Application Error

Posted Mar 15, 2018 11:55 AM

Hi All,

We have a requirement for SPS Errors to be customized in such a way that if backend application server is having some issues we should see those errors on browser not SPS. 

Use case:  SPS connects to backend application which connects to database, so if database is taking time to respond SPS shows error "Thread Performing the required IO interrupted. Might be the connection Timeout." Instead of this error we want to see the application error. Or something like Similar situations.

• 2.  Re: SPS Error Application Error

• 3.  Re: SPS Error Application Error

Posted Mar 15, 2018 03:21 PM

Hi Albert,

I checked those documents, as far as I understand from these documents we can customize the error messages which SPS is throwing, I am looking for something where we don't want to see SPS Error messages we want to see Application Error as it is coming from application, that will help application teams to debug rather then looking at SPS errors and then checking SPS logs and then checking application logs.

• 4.  Re: SPS Error Application Error

Posted Mar 20, 2018 12:39 PM

Hello All, 

Any suggestions?

• 5.  Re: SPS Error Application Error

Posted Mar 20, 2018 12:49 PM

Vikas

Use Case

Use case:  SPS connects to backend application which connects to database, so if database is taking time to respond SPS shows error "Thread Performing the required IO interrupted. Might be the connection Timeout." Instead of this error we want to see the application error. Or something like Similar situations.

In the use case here, if we bypass CA AG, how long does it take for the application page to render an error page in the given scenario. Was there an Application Error Page rendered as a response to DB's long standing time. CA AG is not really bothered about the DB, CA AG is waiting on the App Content to be rendered from the App Server OR backend Web Server. If the App Server OR Web Server is not rendering any error page, I guess CA AG would probably eventually timeout the connection. So first let try to understand how long does it take for App Server OR backend WebServer to render an error content / message / page due to DB holding up processing.

• 6.  Re: SPS Error Application Error

Posted Mar 20, 2018 01:24 PM

Thanks HubertDennis, I will check with application teams about it.

can you please suggest if I increase http_connection_timeout="3 minutes" to http_connection_timeout="5 minutes" in server.conf, then SPS will wait for 5 mins before throwing SPS errors?

• 7.  Re: SPS Error Application Error

Posted Mar 20, 2018 01:30 PM

My recommendation is to first understand the backend WebServer / AppServer behavior in conjunction to long running DB Txns. Do we even know how long after would the WebServer / AppServer present a local error page ? Then look at CA AG tuning. There is no benefit in tweaking CA AG without understanding all underlying factors.