Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Setup gateway cluster in AWS

Posted Mar 15, 2018 02:15 PM

Team,

Does anyone have idea about setting the CA API cluster in AWS need to know what are the best practices to follow for prod.

• 2.  Re: Setup gateway cluster in AWS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2018 07:31 PM

Dear d.pradeepkumar1 ,

We have AMI gateway image on amazon, here is  the document,

Using the Gateway AMI Appliance - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards,

Mark

• 3.  Re: Setup gateway cluster in AWS

Posted Mar 16, 2018 12:24 AM

Hi Mark,

I have followed the same link and setup the standalone gateway in aws with that I don't have any issues. But my question exactly is what the are best ways to do production cluster architecture for the gateway in AWS.Any specific things to follow. My situation exactly is I need to place the production cluster in the private subnet of the AWS cloud. Whether the appliance configuration in cloud is same as the VM or not.I don't have any issues configuring appliances in VMware hypervisors, but  for the AWS I am bit confused. 

• 4.  Re: Setup gateway cluster in AWS
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2018 06:32 PM

Dear pradeep dhanikonda ,

Thanks for your clarification.

Yes, configuring AMI gateway is almost the same as the virtual appliance gateway.

But there are few differences, including (but not limited to) the following,

1. (this is the most important, I believe) AMI instance use dynamic IP address by default, but the gateway assumes static IP, not just for gateway nodes, but also other relevant servers such as syslog server. We see a lot of issues when IP changed, so, try to apply "Elastic IP" to all relevant servers

2. ssh login is configured different on AMI gateway, by default, you need a key to login as root, and then "su - ssgconfig" to open gateway menu for configuration. (if you still want password login, you need to manually change ssh configuration)

3. It's suggested to use RDS database, not the local mysql database(although it's there). Therefor when configure gateway, you configure as connecting to remote database. The way to acquire mysql error log/slow log is different, and may need to be configured properly.

4. Need to configure the Amazon networking properly, ensure the gateway can connect to RDS database, portal server, syslog server etc. (we see some connection issues due to wrong settings on amazon networking)

Regards,

Mark

• 5.  Re: Setup gateway cluster in AWS

Posted Mar 18, 2018 08:50 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your suggestions,one more clarification when configuring cluster in AWS.Is master slave configuration required.that is execution of master slave configuration scripts required in individual gateways.As of my knowledge it should not be because gateway is depending on external database.

Regards

Pradeep

• 6.  Re: Setup gateway cluster in AWS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2018 06:28 PM

Dear pradeep dhanikonda ,

Amazon RDS has its own HA solution, you may consult amazon for the best solution for your case.

Here are some entries,

Amazon RDS Product Details – Amazon Web Services (AWS) 

Amazon RDS Multi-AZ Deployments 

Amazon RDS Read Replicas 

Any question/problem/maintenance on RDS should go to Amazon.

Regards,

Mark

• 7.  Re: Setup gateway cluster in AWS

Posted Mar 19, 2018 07:08 PM

Hi Mark,

Already we asked AWS that RDS to be set in HA mode.I misunderstood that irrespective of the database we need to run master and slave scripts for gateway clustering  but I am clear now.

Regards

Pradeep